DMV: Returning Connecticut License Plates and Cancelling a Registration

Returning Connecticut License Plates
and Canceling a Registration

Save Time, Cancel Your Plates Online Here

You must cancel your registration if you no longer have the vehicle or if you have moved out of state. 

Your vehicle will be subject to property tax assessment in the town of record until the registration is cancelled.  Once the registration has been cancelled, the vehicle will be removed from the next Grand List that is provided to the municipalities on October 1st each year. 

You can cancel a registration online, in person or by mail.

Cancel Online

  • Visit the Registration Cancellation page.  Select the link in which your vehicle is registered under: Individual or Organization


  • Follow prompts.  For individuals, you will need the first and last name on the registration, date of birth, CT drivers or ID number, plate number and class.


  • The last confirmation page is your plate receipt; you must print this plate receipt confirmation page if you would like to keep a copy for your recordsYou may wish to provide or submit a copy of the receipt to your local Town Assessor.


  • There will be a $20 fee if you lose the receipt and need a replacement.

Cancel In Person

Return your registration marker plate(s) to any DMV HUB or limited service office

  • Visit the Information Desk or Kiosk


  • Turn plate in and request plate receipt if you would like to keep a copy for your records. Tax towns are updated on a daily basis, so there is no need to bring receipt to your tax town assessor.


  • There will be a $20 fee if you lose the receipt and need a replacement.

Cancel by Mail

If you cannot visit a DMV office you may send the plate(s) to:

60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Attn: Plate Return

Please enclose a written request to cancel the registration and indicate whether you would like a receipt. A receipt will be mailed to the address that is on file with DMV. If you have moved out of state you must enclose a self addressed stamped envelope for the receipt to be mailed to you.

Note:  If you received a property tax bill on a vehicle that you sold and need proof of sale, you will need to fill out a Copy Records Request (form J-23T). On the form, please request the "bill of sale" and follow instructions on how to order.

Content Last Modified on 8/15/2015 7:26:39 PM