DMV: Requirements for Obtaining a Temporary Registration

Requirements for Obtaining a Temporary Registration

Holiday Closing:  On Wednesday, July 4, 2018, DMV offices will be closed for the Independence Day holiday.  Offices will reopen on Thursday, July 5, 2018, at 9:15 a.m.


A temporary registration may be obtained at any DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office for the purpose of needing a safety inspection and/or emissions test.  Please see Safety Inspections Performed at DMV for additional inspection information.

Temporary registrations are available in the following types:  Passenger, Commerical, Combination, Camper, Camp Trailer and Motorcycle. 

$21 for Passenger, Combination, Camper, Camp Trailer, and Motorcycle.

$27 for Commercial Vehicles with a GVWR of 6000lbs or less.

You should go through the safety inspection and/or emissions test within the first ten (10) days, in case repairs are required, as temporary registrations are not renewable.

A vehicle exempt from sales tax by a family or business relationship cannot be registered if the transferor (seller) owes delinquent property taxes on the vehicle, in which case a tax receipt would have to be shown, or if the vehicle is listed as suspended, or has parking violations. The same applies for the person registering the vehicle.

Note: Vehicles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax or parking tickets are owed or if the registrant has had his/her registration privilege suspended.

Click here to Obtain a Temporary Registration for Commercial Vehicles.

Content Last Modified on 3/20/2017 8:23:38 AM