DMV: Requirements to Register a Motorcycle

Requirements to Register a Motorcycle

To determine if your vehicle meets requirements for motorcycle registration, please see important information.

If the motorcycle is purchased brand new, please follow the same requirements as the Registration of a New Vehicle.

If the motorcycle is purchased as used, or previously registered out of state, you will need to present the following documents to your local DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office to apply for a registration:

  • The Certificate of Title showing assignment of ownership and indicating release of all liens (if any).  A Title is not required on motorcycles with a model year older than 20 years. 
  • Bill of Sale
  • Identification will be required to register a motorcycle. Please see list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
  • A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification is required when registering your out-of-state motorcycle.  Once your motorcycle has received a VIN verification, please bring your VIN verification form to DMV at the time of registration.  
  • Your current out-of-state registration certificate. 
  • Your current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company.  The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s).  If the motorcycle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.
  • Completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you.

Note:  Motorcycles cannot be registered if delinquent property tax or parking tickets are owed or if the registrant has had their registration privilege suspended.

Content Last Modified on 10/10/2014 1:27:37 PM