DMV: Military - Fee Waiver Information

Military Personnel
Fee Waiver Information
SERVICE UPDATE:  As DMV transitions to a new, online-only appointment system for road tests, DMV will stop taking road test appointments on October 21 and October 23, and will resume October 24 with its new convenient online system.  See more information here
DONíT WAIT: Renew a week or more before your birthday. You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV or AAA office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.

To qualify for a driver's license renewal fee waiver during an in-person visit to a DMV office or AAA location, military personnel must present the following documents:

If the individual is an active service member:
If the individual is honorably separated from active service:
  • PLEASE NOTE:  This is a one-time fee waiver for any person honorably separated from service who applies within two years following the date of separation and was a legal resident of Connecticut at the time of his or her induction.
  • An Application for Waiver of Driverís License Fee Form (Form B-88)
  • An original copy of your DD-214.  Military discharge/separation papers must be dated within two years and individual must have been honorably discharged.

Content Last Modified on 6/13/2017 11:24:06 AM