DMV: Driver's License - Renewing Through Mail

How To Obtain a License
or Non-Driver Identification Card
Through the Mail 
Holiday Schedule:  On Friday, February 17, DMV offices will close at 12:30 p.m. to observe the President Washington Birthday holiday, and will reopen on Tuesday, February 21, at 7:45 a.m. 


Duplicate learners' permits; duplicate or renewal drivers' licenses; and non-driver identification cards are issued through the mail only to individuals unable to appear at DMV in the following special situations:  

  • Military:  If you are an active member of the armed forces of the United States of America and your home of record is Connecticut, you may request a duplicate or renew your valid Connecticut Driver’s License or Non-Driver Identification Card by mail.
  • Medically unable to appear:  Individuals with a major medical condition may request a duplicate or renewal of their driver’s license or non-driver identification card by mail.
  • Temporarily out of state or country:  If an individual is not able to come into a DMV office to renew or to obtain a replacement of a valid Connecticut Driver's License due to their present location.
  • Incarcerated:  If an incarcerated person holds a valid Connecticut Driver's License/non-driver identification card that is about to expire, the license/identification card by may be renewed by mail.  The inmate number must be provided and the license/identification card can only be sent to the facility where the applicant is incarcerated.

OUT OF STATE RESIDENCY:   If you have established residency in another state, you must obtain a license in your state of residency and may not renew your Connecticut Driver's License.


Your driver's license or non-driver identification card may only be mailed to an out of state or country address, unless you are incarcerated or medically unable to appear in-person.  If you are in Connecticut, you must appear in person at a DMV office to obtain a renewal/duplicate license or non-driver identification card.


Requesting the RENEWAL or DUPLICATE


DMV has enhanced the process to register to vote for customers renewing or applying for a license or ID card, or when changing an address on file with DMV.   


To renew or request a duplicate of your valid driver license/non-driver identification card through the mail you must:

  • Complete a Request for a Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350). Note:  If request is because you are medically unable to appear, you must complete a Request to Renew or Obtain a Duplicate Driver’s License or Non-Driver ID Card by Mail Due to a Temporary Medication Condition (Form CI-1).

  • Provide a check or money order made payable to “DMV” for the appropriate fee or you may pay the fee by credit card over the phone (please see instructions below).  All checks must be drawn on a United States Bank and made payable in United States funds.

NOTE: All driver's license renewals processed by mail must be received prior to the expiration date or a $25 late fee applies.  Please send your renewal at least 10 days prior to expiration, especially if mailing from out of country.

  • Mail form, payment and a self-addressed stamped envelope (first class if US delivery/$1.10 for out of US delivery or if requesting overnight delivery see below) to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

60 State Street

Wethersfield, CT  06109

Attention:  Mail-in License Transaction Unit


Overnight Mail:  For overnight delivery, you must include a self-addressed pre-paid envelope from the overnight carrier; otherwise your license/identification card will be sent regular mail.  The Centralized Issuance Unit is open Monday through Friday and will make every effort to process your transaction within 24 hours after receipt.

Payment by Credit Card

To pay for a renewal or duplicate license/identification card using a credit card in the name of the individual who is applying for the license/identification card, follow these instructions:

·         Email ( or Fax (860)263-5591 a completed Connecticut Driver’s License/Identification Card by Mail (Form B-350) and (Form CI-1) (if applicable).


·         After one business day contact the Mail-in License Transaction Unit at (860)263-5401 during the following business hours:

Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

·         The staff in the Mail-in License Transaction Unit will obtain the credit card information needed to process your transaction.  


Real ID Program (Renewals)


Please note if you are renewing by mail, you do not have the option to obtain a “Verified” credential under the Real ID Program.  Customers who wish to qualify for a verified driver's license or identification card must do so by presenting the required documents at a DMV branch office or AAA office.  


If you renew by mail, your credential will state:  "Not for Federal Identification."  This credential is still valid as identification, but could require extra security screening at airports and federal buildings after December 2017.  For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions about the Real ID Program.


Verified License/ID Holders:  To maintain their verified status, verified license/ID holders must appear in person every other renewal. 


Real ID Program (Duplicates)


A Duplicate of a VERIFIED license/non-driver identification card will only be issued if your license/non-driver identification card has already been verified by the DMV.  If your license has not been VERIFIED, the DMV will issue either a “Not for Federal Identification” or “Legacy” license depending on when your last in-person visit to DMV occurred.

Military with Honorable Discharge


Once you receive an honorable discharge, you have 30 days after the date of discharge to renew your Connecticut driver license.  This policy only applies to individuals who have been honorably discharged and have returned to the state and are able to present documentation to prove this.   


Renewal of a Commercial Driver License or Public Service thru through the Mail


A Commercial Driver License or Public Service License must be done in person.  If you are unable to appear in person and are requesting a renewal, a Voluntary Downgrade (P-147) must be completed. 


Content Last Modified on 8/24/2016 5:11:31 PM