DMV: Public Passenger Endorsements

Public Passenger Endorsements


NEW PROCESS: You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV or AAA office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance.

PLEASE NOTE:  Only DMV Hub Offices process endorsements.

How to Apply for a Public Passenger Endorsement

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Must have a valid Connecticut Driver’s License
  • Must be at least 18 years of age (age 21 if the vehicle is a commercial motor vehicle, a commercial driver's license (CDL) is necessary. Please see CDL Testing Requirements);
  • Must possess good moral character.
  • Must pass a review of their criminal record.
  • Must be subject to medical review and meet the physical requirements outlined on the medical examination form as required per 49 CFR 391.41-391.49.

The following documentation must be fully completed and submitted to a DMV office that processes endorsements: (Find a DMV Hub office near you)

Types of Connecticut Public Passenger Endorsements

“S” endorsement: required before operating a school bus or any vehicle that requires a “V,” “A” or “F” endorsement.  Before operating a school bus, a commercial driver’s license with a P endorsement is also required.  Please see CDL Testing Requirements for more information on how to obtain a CDL.

V endorsement:  required before operating a student transportation vehicle transporting students to and from school, including vehicles transporting special education students, or any vehicle that requires an “A” or “F” endorsement.  A certificate of safety training (R360) is also required.  (Available through school bus companies)    NOTE:  No motor vehicle with a seating capacity of more than ten passengers other than a school bus conforming to the provision of Connecticut State Statutes Sec. 14-275 may be used for the transportation of such students to and from school.

A” endorsement:   required before operating a student transportation vehicle (or other vehicle that requires an "F" endorsement) used in connection with school-sponsored events and activities, but not used to transport students to and from school. 

F” endorsement: required before operating a taxi, livery vehicle, service bus, motor bus or motor coach.

See Connecticut General Statutes 14-44 for more information.

Type of vehicles use that require a public passenger endorsement:

  • Activity vehicle:  A student transportation vehicle that is used to transport students in connection with school-sponsored events and activities, but is not used to transport students to and from school;
  • Camp Vehicle: An endorsement is not required to drive a camp vehicle.
  • Livery Vehicle:  Any motor vehicle used by any entity in the business of transporting passengers for hire.  (See Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 13b-104 for exceptions)
  • Motor Bus/Motor Coach:  Includes any motor vehicle, except a taxicab, as defined in section 13b-95, operated as a means of transportation bus receiving or discharging passenger, or running on a regular route or over any portion of a regular route or between fixed terminals;
  • Public Service Motor Vehicles:  Includes any vehicles (except vanpools) used to transport passengers for hire, i.e., commercial buses, taxis, limos, and airport shuttles.
  • Service Buses:  Includes any vehicle (except vanpool) designed to carry 10 or more persons when used in private service for the transportation of persons without charge to the individual, i.e., school buses, church buses, factory buses, farm worker buses, senior citizen vans or handicapped vans.
  • Student Transportation Vehicle:  Any motor vehicle other than a registered school bus used by a carrier for the transportation of students, including children requiring special education.
  • School Bus:  A vehicle that meets the requirements of Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 14-275, including a commercial motor vehicle used to transport preschool, elementary school or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events, but does not include a bus used as a common carrier;
  • Taxicab:  Any motor vehicle operated on call or demand accepting or soliciting passengers for transportation for hire between such points as may be directed by the passenger(s).



A non-resident who holds an operator’s license issued by another state or country may operate a vehicle that otherwise requires a Connecticut public passenger endorsement, provided the non-resident holds the equivalent endorsement from their home jurisdiction.

Vehicle requiring certain endorsements may be operated by drivers not holding public passenger transportation endorsements and restrictions when the vehicle is not transporting passengers.  If the vehicle is a commercial motor vehicle, a commercial driver’s license (CDL) with a “P” endorsement is necessary.  Please see CDL Testing Requirements for more information on how to obtain a CDL license.


Authorized Medical Examiner:

The DMV will only accept an examination from providers registered through the U.S. Department of Health.  This applies to ALL Public Passenger endorsement applicants/holders and driving school instructors.   

Learn more about becoming a nationally certified medical provider.



Content Last Modified on 6/8/2017 11:19:58 AM