DMV Easy Answers for
Replacing Your Driver's License, Learner's Permit
or Non-Driver ID
If your Connecticut license, ID card or learnerís permit has been lost or destroyed, and you need to obtain a duplicate, you may do one of the following, depending on the type of duplicate you are requesting:
1. Obtain a Duplicate by Mail, Email or Fax
If the information on your credential will remain the same (e.g. name, address), you may get a duplicate by using one of the following options: (*Drive Only licenses are not eligible for this service).
By Email or Fax:
After one business day, contact the Centralized Issuance Operations Unit at (860) 263-5401 (Monday Ė Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) to make a credit card payment (Mastercard, Visa, Discover ONLY).
Your duplicate credential will be mailed directly to the address on file and you will receive it in approximately 5-7 business days.
This option is available for all license, ID and permit types.
**No CDLs, commercial learnerís permits or licenses with passenger endorsements, and no Drive Only licenses.
You will not receive a permanent driverís license or ID card when you appear in person. It will arrive through the mail. If you appear in person for a duplicate you will receive a temporary paper card. For more on this, please see Central Issuance
. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card
- $30 to replace a driver's license, Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or non-driver photo ID.
- $19 to replace a learner's permit.
- $16 to replace a motorcycle learner's permit.
- $8 convenience fee for DMV transactions processed at AAA offices, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall.
- $10 to replace a Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP).