DMV: Driver's License - Renewing - Military Personnel

Military Personnel Renewing their Connecticut Driver License

Holiday Closing:  On Tuesday, December 25, all DMV offices will be closed for the Christmas Day holiday.  Offices will reopen on Wednesday, December 26, at 7:45 a.m.

DONíT WAIT: Renew a week or more before your birthday. You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV, AAA office, Milford Nutmeg Financial Credit Union or West Haven City Hall.   It will arrive through the mail.  You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you are renewing your driver's license, you will have the option to verify your identity through the Real ID Program.  However, you may not verify your identity through the mail.  Customers who wish to verify his or her driver's license must do so in-person.   

People verifying will get a gold star on the license.  Those declining will have one stamped "Not for Federal Identification."  The difference could be extra screening under a proposed federal program slated to go into effect in 2020 for airports and federal buildings and also use for possible commercial transactions.  For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions about the Real ID Program.

If you are in the active service of the armed forces of the United States of America and your home of record is Connecticut, you may renew your Connecticut Driver License for free. What to do: 

Department of Motor Vehicles
Central Issuance Operations Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT  06161-5041

If you have not received your renewal notice in the mail, you may contact our Central Issuance Operations Unit at 860-263-5148. Please have your license number available when you call.

Military With Honorable Discharge

Once you receive an honorable discharge, you have 30 days after the date of discharge to renew your Connecticut driver license.  This policy only applies to individuals who have been honorably discharged and are able to present documentation to prove this.  Military personnel with honorable discharge can also qualify for a one-time renewal fee waiver

Renewal of a Commercial Driver License or Public Service through the Mail

A Commercial Driver License or Public Service License must be done in person.  If you are unable to appear in person and are requesting a renewal, a voluntary downgrade form (P-147) must be completed. 

What to do: 

NOTE:  A $25 late fee will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license.

Content Last Modified on 10/1/2018 3:17:33 PM