DMV: CDL - Transferring a from Another State

Transferring a Commercial Driver's License
From Another State

Holiday Closing:  DMV offices will close this Thursday (Feb. 11) at 3:15 p.m. and remain closed this Friday (Feb. 12) and Saturday (Feb. 13) for the Pres. Lincoln and Washington holidays.

PLEASE NOTE: This service is only provided at a DMV Hub Office.  Click here to find a Hub office near you

A driver that has moved to Connecticut and holds a current out of state Commercial Driverís License (CDL) must apply for a Connecticut CDL within 30 days of establishing residency in Connecticut.

The applicant can obtain a Connecticut CDL of equal class usually without testing.   The School Bus Endorsement and Hazardous Material Endorsement (Hazmat) are the exceptions. Please see the applicable web page on these endorsements.

You must present the following at a DMV Hub Office:

1. Your current out-of-state CDL.  A CDL will not be issued if the operatorís privileges are suspended in any state.

2. Your certified Birth Certificate or valid Passport (hospital birth certificate or photocopies will not be accepted).  Please Note:  Puerto Rico-issued birth certificates dated before July 1, 2010, will not be accepted.  Please see more detailed information on acceptable forms of identification.  

3. Your Social Security card (laminated or metal cards are not accepted) or your most recent W-2 form.

4. Verification of Connecticut Resident Address (P.O. Box is not acceptable):  DMV requires two forms of address verification (mortgage, bank statements, utility bill, etc.). 

5. Medical certification with the DMV.  Must have current legible, unexpired medical certification completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with your previous state of record prior to transferring your out-of-state CDL. 

6. Application for Commercial Driverís License (R-229a). Request this form to be mailed to you.

7. Self-certification with DMV. Must have a self-certification status in your previous state of record before applying to transfer your out-of-state CDL. Connecticut CDL holders may self-certify online.

8. Application fee Ė The fee for a CDL Change State of Record will be either $70 or $87.50, fee determined on license duration issued.  See acceptable forms of payment at DMV office locations.

NOTE: If you are not a citizen of the United States, you will be required to show proof of legal status in this country.

Once all documentation is completed you will then be administered a vision test.

Content Last Modified on 7/29/2015 11:39:04 AM