Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verifications
Conducted at DMV Inspection Lanes
***Holiday Closing***: On Friday, December 22, DMV offices will close at 12:30 p.m. to observe the Christmas Day holiday, and remain closed on Saturday, December 23. Offices will reopen on Tuesday, December 26 at 7:45 a.m.
Certain vehicle types must have a VIN verification conducted at a DMV Inspection Lane – see locations and hours
. Vehicle types listed below must have a VIN verified at a DMV Inspection Lane - all other vehicles must be verified at a VIN verification test center.
PLEASE NOTE: When coming to DMV for a VIN verification please be prepared for a full safety inspection of the vehicle. Prior to any VIN verification being performed, all vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, etc must be fully operational and in compliance with all Connecticut laws and regulations. All vehicles, trailers and motorcycles arriving on top of or within trailers, or in the back of trucks must be off-loaded by the customer and equipped so as to be able to test the brakes, lights, horn and all other legally required equipment. VIN verifications will NOT be performed on vehicles that are not legal for the road or that are presented in such manner as to prevent a safety inspection from being conducted by DMV personnel.
- Vehicles that have missing, altered, or otherwise undetectable VINs;
- Composite motor vehicles or trailers, including any homemade motor vehicles or trailers, dune buggies, and kit cars;
- Salvage vehicles;
- Grey market vehicles (vehicles that are imported from other countries, including Canada, and may not conform to the federal safety standards);
- Amphibious vehicles;
- Former military vehicles;
- Motorcycles with model years 1980 or older;
- Three-wheeled vehicles, except Harley Davidson, and Can Am (Spyder);
- Vehicles that are not listed on our approved list of manufacturers. (except utility trailers)
- ANY dirt bike or motorcycle that closely resembles a dirt bike regardless of whether the manufacturer is listed on the CT manufacturer's list MUST be brought to the Wethersfield DMV for a courtesy inspection.
What to do:
- Bring your vehicle to a DMV Inspection Lane. See locations and hours.
- After VIN is verified, you will receive a verification form, which will be required to register your vehicle at DMV. If your verification form is lost 30 days or more after the date of verification, you must have your VIN verified again and pay the $10 fee. You can obtain a copy of the form at the station that verified the VIN.
- Proceed to a DMV Hub Office or Limited Service Office to register your vehicle with your verification form.
What to bring:
- The vehicle you want to register.
What it will cost:
Content Last Modified on 12/1/2017 10:40:59 AM