DMV: Change of Name

DMV Easy Answers
for Change of Name
SERVICE UPDATE:  As DMV transitions to a new, online-only appointment system for road tests, DMV will stop taking road test appointments on October 21 and October 23, and will resume October 24 with its new convenient online system.  See more information here
To change your name on your Photo License or Non-Driver Identification (ID) Card, please visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) before coming to a DMV office or AAA office.

Change of Name on Photo License or Non-Driver ID Card:

  • File name change with SSA.
  • Come into any DMV office or AAA office.
  • Complete a Change of Name Request (form E-78).
  • Current Photo License or Non-Driver ID Card.
  • Certified documentation that shows the change of name.

Photocopies and religious marriage certificates will not be accepted

  • A new Photo License or Non-Driver ID Card will be issued indicating the new name.  There is a $30 fee for making this change.
Change of Name on a Registration can only be done at a DMV office.
  • Must show certified documentation that shows the change of name (i.e. marriage license, civil union certificate, divorce decree, probate court documents, etc.).

  • Only the registration document must be presented, as the ownership on the Certificate of Title is not changing.  A Registration Affidavit (form B-301) must be completed.

    Note: If you do not turn in your current registration a $20 duplicate registration fee will be charged.

For additional information, please see Change of Name.

Content Last Modified on 7/29/2015 1:19:22 PM