Commercial Vehicle Insurance
SERVICE UPDATE: As DMV transitions to a new, online-only appointment system for road tests, DMV will stop taking road test appointments on October 21 and October 23, and will resume October 24 with its new convenient online system. See more information here.
If you are a motor carrier and conduct commercial business with motor vehicles meeting any of the following criteria, you are required to report insurance coverage to DMV once a year:
1. A vehicle that operates in intrastate commerce (within Connecticut only) with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross truck/trailer weight or gross combination weight rating of 18,001 pounds or more;
2. A vehicle that operates in interstate commerce with a gross vehicle weight, or GVWR or gross truck/trailer combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
3. A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver;
4. A vehicle used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring HAZMAT “placarding” under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.
5. If the first four choices do not apply to you, you must complete and submit a Compliance Affidavit form to DMV for new registration transactions or renewals.
If any of above applies to any of your vehicles, Section 14-163d of the Connecticut General Statutes requires that you must file an Acord 25 Certificate Of Liability Insurance with DMV once a year that you maintain the following minimum levels of insurance coverage:
Freight vehicles of 10,001 pounds or more GVWR, non-hazardous: $750,000
Any vehicle with a seating capacity of more than 8 passengers: $1,500,000
- Any vehicle with a seating capacity of 16 passengers or more: $5,000,000
Content Last Modified on 5/6/2016 2:22:49 PM