Commercial Vehicle Insurance
Holiday schedule: On Friday, November 11, DMV offices will be closed in recognition of Veterans Day. Offices will reopen on Saturday, November 12, at 8 a.m.
If you are a motor carrier and conduct commercial business with motor vehicles meeting any of the following criteria, you are required to report insurance coverage to DMV once a year:
1. A vehicle that operates in intrastate commerce (within Connecticut only) with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross truck/trailer weight or gross combination weight rating of 18,001 pounds or more;
2. A vehicle that operates in interstate commerce with a gross vehicle weight, or GVWR or gross truck/trailer combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
3. A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver;
4. A vehicle used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring HAZMAT “placarding” under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.
5. If the first four choices do not apply to you, you must complete and submit a Compliance Affidavit form to DMV for new registration transactions or renewals.
If any of above applies to any of your vehicles, Section 14-163d of the Connecticut General Statutes requires that you must file an Acord 25 Certificate Of Liability Insurance with DMV once a year that you maintain the following minimum levels of insurance coverage:
Freight vehicles of 10,001 pounds or more GVWR, non-hazardous: $750,000
Any vehicle with a seating capacity of more than 8 passengers: $1,500,000
- Any vehicle with a seating capacity of 16 passengers or more: $5,000,000
Content Last Modified on 5/6/2016 2:22:49 PM