Registration of Personal Watercraft (Jet Ski)
Holiday Schedule: DMV customer service centers will close for the Memorial Day holiday on Friday, May 27 at 12:30 p.m. and reopen Tuesday, May 31 at 7:45 a.m.
All AAA offices will be open to process renewals for driver licenses and non-driver ID cards during their normal business hours on Friday, May 27 and Saturday, May 28. AAA offices will be closed on Monday, May 30.
Personal watercrafts (also known as jet skis) are required to be registered in the same manner as a boat.
Before you can operate a personal watercraft on Connecticut waters, you must get a Safe Boating Certificate from the Department of Energy and Enviornmental Protection.
Documents Required to Register
Please be sure to read each scenario so that you will have all the proper documentation based upon where the personal watercraft was purchased.
Once you have your documents, please visit a DMV Limited Service or Full-Service Hub Office to register your personal watercraft.
Purchased from a Dealer
If purchased from a dealer, here is a list of required documents and fees to register a personal watercraft:
A "paid in full" Bill of Sale from the dealer must be submitted showing the amount paid and amount of sales tax collected by the dealer.
- If purchased from an out-of-state dealer, a credit of the sales tax paid is allowed. However, the total sales tax must equal the 6.35% Connecticut Sales Tax and a receipt must be shown.
Purchased from an Individual
If purchased from an individual (a private sale), here is a list of required documents and fees to register a personal watercraft:
- A completed Application for Vessel Registration and Certificate of Number or Decal (form B-148) (Download, fill out online and print this form.)
- A Bill of Sale (form H-31) signed by the seller must be submitted showing amount paid. At the time of registration a 6.35% Connecticut sales tax will be collected based on the purchase price.
- If the seller is not the last registered owner, an additional Bill of Sale (form H-31) must be submitted for each ownership transfer back to the last registered owner.
- The required registration fee based upon the length of the personal watercraft.
Content Last Modified on 4/27/2016 10:15:59 AM