DMV: Frequently Asked Questions about Registration of Vehicles

Frequently Asked Questions about
Registration of Vehicles

What is required for proof of insurance when registering a vehicle?
You will be required to provide a current Connecticut Insurance Identification Card, which can be obtained from your insurance company, for the vehicle that you are registering. The insurance card must be in the name of registered owner(s) of the vehicle. If the vehicle is being leased, the insurance card may be in the name of the lessee.  Please see Requirements for Automobile Insurance to find out more information.

What am I supposed to do when I sell my car?
Complete and sign the reverse side of the Certificate of Title and give it to the new owner along with a Bill of Sale, (form H-31). You may draft your own Bill of Sale, (form H-31) as there is no special form required. The marker plates from your vehicle should be removed and returned to the DMV with the registration certificate; you must ask that they be cancelled. You will be given a receipt when the plates are turned in. Keep this receipt for your records.  In addition, contact your local tax assessors office for information on removing the vehicle from the property tax list.

If you need to, you can mail your plates to:

60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Enclose a note requesting that the plates be cancelled. You must also enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like a receipt mailed to you. The new owner will then be required to register the vehicle in his or her name and apply for a new certificate of title.

I have questions about my leased vehicle.
See our Frequently Asked Questions on Leased Vehicles.

How do I go about donating my vehicle?
You must assign the reverse side of the Certificate of Title to the organization to which you are donating the vehicle. If you are not transferring your registration and plates to another vehicle, then you must turn them in to a DMV Hub or Limited Service Office.

I am buying a car out-of-state and need to drive it home to Connecticut. What do I need?
Requirements are the same as Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered Out of State. A temporary registration can be purchased to drive the vehicle home by bringing the properly assigned Certificate of Title, Bill of Sale, (form H-31) and Connecticut Insurance Card to your local DMV Hub or Limited Service Office. Sales tax will be paid when the temporary registration is issued.

I am an out-of-state resident and I am purchasing a vehicle in Connecticut to take back to my home state. Can I get a registration to drive it home? 

Yes, you may purchase an In-Transit Registration, which is valid for 30 days, by presenting the required documents. Only one in-transit plate will be issued.

I just moved here from out-of-state. How do I register my vehicle and get a Connecticut license?
Please see Requirements to Transfer Your Out-of-State Registered Vehicle and Licensing Requirements for New Residents.

How do I register a used vehicle?
Please see requirements for registering a vehicle.

I sent in my registration renewal and payment but have not received my new registration. What do I do?

The registration renewal process and actual certificate has changed.  Ten days after submitting this online renewal request, you can verify that the DMV received your payment and that your registration has been renewed by visiting the DMV’s online registration renewal verification website. Please see more information on the new registration process.

I recently transferred my plates, but my renewal form still has my old vehicle information. What should I do?
If you have received the permanent registration certificate for your new vehicle, cross off the old information on your registration renewal form, write in the new vehicle information, and send it to the DMV with the required fee and a copy of the new registration certificate.

How do I transfer ownership of a vehicle from a family member?
Please see Transfer Vehicle from One Immediate Family Member to Another.

My marker plates were stolen. What do I do?
Please see Requirements to Replace Lost, Stolen or Mutilated License Plates.

How many license plates am I required to display on my vehicle?
Most types of registrations, except motorcycle and trailers, are issued two plates. State law requires that you display one on the front and one on the back of the vehicle.

Why did I get a property tax bill for a vehicle I no longer own?
Keep in mind that you will receive a tax bill in July for any vehicle that was on the grand list of registered vehicles for the previous October 1st. For more property tax information, please see Property Tax Information.

I received a temporary registration from the dealer 45 days ago. I have not received my permanent registration yet. What should I do?
The expiration date of dealer-issued temporary registrations has been extended to 60 days. If you have not received your registration within 60 days, please contact the dealer where you bought the vehicle. The dealer will track the paperwork and let you know the status of your registration.

How long does it take to receive a title after registering a vehicle? Please see Recently Applied for Titles.

I lost the title to my vehicle. How do I obtain a replacement? Please see Requesting a Duplicate Title.

How do I obtain a Title Search for the current owner of a vehicle?
Please see Requesting A Title Search.

I moved out of state. How do I return my plates?
Please see Returning Connecticut License Plates and Canceling Registration.

Where do I go to get a safety inspection?
Please see our Inspection Information page.

How much sales tax will I pay on a used vehicle bought from a private owner?
Please see Sales Tax on Registrations.

What fees does the DMV charge?
Please see our Fee Information page.

How can I change the color of my car on the registration?
You may change the color of the vehicle by bringing your current registration to your nearest DMV branch office. You will complete a Registration Affidavit, (form B-301)and will be issued a new registration. There is no charge for this change. You may also do this through the mail by printing a copy of the Registration Affidavit, (form B-301) from our web site and mailing it with a photocopy of the current registration. Mail both documents to:

Customized Services Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Please enclose a note requesting the color change.

Content Last Modified on 10/9/2012 11:13:32 AM