DMV: Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycles

Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycles

SERVICE ADVISORY:  DMV will close for the Labor Day holiday as usual on Friday, Sept. 4, at 12:30 p.m. and will not have its half-day office hours the next day, Saturday. This follows contractual agreements related to state and federal holidays that occur on Mondays as Labor Day does. Offices will reopen Tuesday, Sept. 8, at 7:45 a.m. 

Am I required to take a motorcycle safety course to obtain a motorcycle endorsement?
Yes.  Please see requirements to obtain a motorcycle endorsement

Where can I go for the required course to learn how to drive a motorcycle?
Please see information on the Connecticut Motorcycle Rider Education Program.

Does a minor (under 18) need a parent or Certificate of Parental Consent (Form 2-D) when applying for a motorcycle permit?
Yes, a parent or a Certificate of Parental Consent (Form 2-D) is required even if the minor has a regular driver's license.

Is a Connecticut Driver's License required to obtain a motorcycle permit?
Yes. Please see requirements for obtaining a motorcycle learner's permit.

Are there any passenger restrictions for motorcycle permit holders?
Yes. No passengers are allowed while operating with a motorcycle permit. Also, motorcycle operators 16 and 17 years old may not transport passengers for the first six months that they hold a motorcycle endorsement.  Motorcycle operators 18 years old or older may not transport passengers the first three months of having a motorcycle endorsement.

Where can I apply for a motorcycle learner's permit or motorcycle endorsement?
Only DMV Hub Offices process endorsements and administer the knowledge test.   

What is the cost of a motorcycle learner's permit?
The permit fee is $16. The fee for the test is $40.

Do I need a valid motorcycle learner's permit to practice riding on public roads?

How can I renew my motorcycle permit?
You can renew your motorcycle permit once within a calendar year. Proceed to the office that issued your permit. Bring your driver's license and your motorcycle permit. The fee is $16.

Do I need to wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle?
If your are sixteen or seventeen years of age, you must wear a helmet at all times. If you are eighteen years of age or older, you must wear a helmet when driving on a permit; otherwise, you need not, but are advised to do so.

Do I need to wear a vision protection device when operating a motorcycle?
Yes.  Eyewear is required at all times for all ages while operating a motorcycle unless the motorcycle contains a windshield which conforms with the nationally accepted standards.

How do I know if I need a motorcycle endorsement for my motorbike/moped?
A motorcycle endorsement is required to operate any bike with a motor over 50 cubic centimeters (cc).

Content Last Modified on 8/11/2015 3:17:10 PM