National Prevention Week 2018
Action Today. Healthier Tomorrow.
May 13-19, 2018
National Prevention Week is an annual health observance dedicated to increasing public awareness of, and action around, substance abuse and mental health issues.
- May 12, 2018, 1-4PM: Rockville Rocks! Community Block Party, Downtown Rockville, 9-23 Elm Street, Rockville, CT
- May 14, 2018, 11AM-2PM: Kick Off Event, Health & Wellness Fair, Connecticut State Capitol North Stairs, 210 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT. The winners of the video contest will be announced at this event! (Photos from our Facebook album)
- May 15, 2018, 4:30-7:30PM: Distracted Driving, Center Memorial Park, 41 Center Street, Manchester, CT. The event will include live demonstrations and interactive experiences, such as: roll over simulator, seat belt convincer and impairment goggles.
- May 15 & 16, 2018, 1-5:30PM: Mental Health First Aid Training, Connecticut Clearinghouse, 334 Farmington Avenue, Plainville, CT
- May 16, 2018, 7PM: Hidden in Plain Sight Presentation, Central Christian Church Gymnasium, 71 West Street, Danbury, CT. Learn what to look for in your child’s bedroom that may indicate they are experimenting with drugs or alcohol and what to say to your child when you find it. Portuguese and Spanish translation offered.
- May 17, 2018, 10AM - 2PM: Tips Training: Training for Intervention Procedures, Norwalk Police Department, 1 Monroe Street, Norwalk, CT
- May 17, 2018, 1-5PM: Educational Forum, Connecticut Clearinghouse, 334 Farmington Avenue, Plainville, CT
- May 17, 2018, 6-7:30PM: Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) Suicide Prevention Training, Connecticut Clearinghouse, 334 Farmington Avenue, Plainville, CT
- May 18, 2018, 12-2:30PM: Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) Suicide Prevention Training, Smilow Life Center, 55 Chestnut Street, South Norwalk, CT (Spanish flyer)
- May 19, 2018, 9AM-4PM: Men's Self Care Summit, 800 Union Avenue (former Moore Tool Company), Bridgeport, CT
- May 19, 2018, 6:05PM: National Prevention Night at Dunkin' Donuts Park
The Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) with support from the CT National Prevention Week 2018 planning committee is pleased to announce a Public Service Announcement (PSA) video contest.
Video Contest Winners:
- High School Category: "The Dangers of Vaping", Danbury High School. The High School category winning PSA video was submitted by Danbury High School. The goal of “The Dangers of Vaping” is to show young adults that vaping is just as harmful as cigarettes.
- Community Coalition Category: "Happy Endings Reaching Out", New Britain Partnership for Success Coalition. “Happy Endings Reaching Out” provides information about teen depression and resources to reach out to prevent suicide.
- Runner-up Community Coalition Category: “Together We Can Make a Difference”, Enfield Together Coalition. “Together We Can Make a Difference” provides information about reducing adolescent access to prescription drugs.
National Prevention Week Themes
- Monday, May 14: Promotion of Mental Health & Wellness
- Tuesday, May 15: Prevention of Underage Drinking & Alcohol Misuse
- Wednesday, May 16: Prevention of Prescription & Opioid Drug Misuse
- Thursday, May 17: Prevention of Illicit Drug Use & Youth Marijuana Use
- Friday, May 18: Prevention of Suicide
- Saturday, May 19: Prevention of Youth Tobacco Use
Content Last Modified on 5/24/2018 11:18:43 AM