despp: Clarification of New Laws for Long Guns

For immediate release - March 27, 2014



Effective April 1, no sales or transfers of long guns may be made in Connecticut without ONE of the following:

  • A Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers, OR
  • Eligibility Certificate for Pistols or Revolvers, OR
  • A Long Gun Eligibility Certificate.

   Any of the permits and/or certificates listed above will also allow for the purchase of ammunition.  A person who intends only to purchase ammunition and not purchase any further firearms, will be only required to obtain an Ammunition Certificate.


   Sales authorization numbers will be required for all firearm sales, retail or private, and must be submitted to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit on form DPS-3-C (Sale or Transfer of All Firearms).  A DPS-67-C (Application to Purchase Firearms) must be filled out and retained by the seller. These forms are available on the DESPP website at


A sales authorization number may be obtained by calling:

(860) 685-8400 or

 toll free 1-888-335-8438 (in-state only)

Monday Friday, 8:30 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

(spring and summer hours only; check web site for fall and winter hours)


Saturday 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.


   The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit is closed on state and federal holidays. Check the
DESPP web site at for closures during inclement weather.


   Also effective April 1, hunting licenses will no longer be accepted for the purchase
of a long gun and a 14-day wait for non-permitted persons will no longer be

- end -

Content Last Modified on 3/27/2014 9:03:07 AM