DEEP: Water Diversion Program

Water Diversion Program

Section 22a-377(b)-1 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies has been amended, effective on May 26, 2017.

History and Information:

View the December 14, 2016 Press Release - DEEP Holding Public Hearing on Regulatory Change Needed to Protect Water Resources and the Environment

View the Water Diversion Amendment and supporting documentation on the CT eRegulation website.

Public Water Supply Management Area (PWSMA) maps showing Exclusive Service Areas (ESAs) referenced in the proposed regulation change under Section 22a-377(b)-1(b)(C):

What is a diversion?

Diversion means any activity which causes, allows or results in the withdrawal from or the alteration, modification or diminution of the instantaneous flow of the waters of the state.

The diversions that are the focus of the proposed regulation change are those that withdraw water from rivers, streams, or lakes (surface waters) or from the ground. Examples include:
  • wells withdrawing water from the ground to supply public drinking water,
  • pumping water from a pond for golf course irrigation, or
  • withdrawing water from a stream to cool industrial machinery.

{Irrigation Pump}
Irrigation Pump

Connecticut Stream
{Reservoir Intake}
 Reservoir Intake

The Water Diversion Program regulates activities that cause, allow or result in the withdrawal from, or the alteration, modification or diminution of, the instantaneous flow of the waters of the state through individual and general permits. The Water Diversion Policy Act is codified in Section 22a-365 through 22a-379 of the Connecticut General StatutesSections 22a-372-122a-377(b)-1  and 22a-377(c)-1 to 22a-377(c)-2  of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.

In general, any person proposing a diversion which was not previously registered with the Department and, which is not exempt, must apply for a permit. You must apply for a permit if, among other things, you propose to:
  • withdraw groundwater or surface water in excess of 50,000 gallons of per day;
  • collect and discharge runoff, including storm water drainage, from a watershed area greater than 100 acres;
  • transfer water from one public water supply distribution system or service area to another where the combined maximum withdrawal from any source supplying  interconnection exceeds fifty thousand (50,000) gallons during any twenty-four hour period;
  • expand a registered public water supply service beyond a service area as identified (1) within registration documents, (2) in a water supply plan submitted prior to October 1, 2016, or (3) beyond an exclusive service area identified on the Department of Public Health’s 2016 Public Water Supply Management Area maps;
  • relocate, retain, detain, bypass, channelize, pipe, culvert, ditch, drain, fill, excavate, dredge, dam, impound, dike, or enlarge waters of the state with a contributing watershed area greater than 100 acres;
  • transfer water from one water supply distribution system to another in excess of 50,000 gallons per day;
  • or modify a registered diversion.

Failure to obtain a permit for an unauthorized diversion may result in the initiation of enforcement actions with injunctions and penalties.

For more information on diversion permits, view the Water Diversion Permit Fact Sheet.


Permit Application Information


Related Guidance

For more information regarding the Water Diversion Policy Act, please contact the Water Planning and Management Division at (860) 424-3020.

Water Quantity

Content Last Updated August 2017