Hazardous Waste Management Regulations
On July 17, 1990, the Department adopted hazardous waste management regulations that incorporated the federal hazardous waste regulations (40 CFR 260-270 and 40 CFR 124) as of July 1, 1989. At that time, the Department modified several of the federal requirements which made Connecticut’s hazardous waste program more stringent or broader in scope than the federal program.
On October 31, 2001, June 27, 2002 and September 10, 2002, the Department updated the state’s hazardous waste management regulations to incorporate the federal hazardous waste regulations (40 CFR 260-279 and 40 CFR 124) as of January 1, 2001. Notable rules incorporated by these updates included:
- standards for used oil generators, transporters, processors, re-refiners, burners and marketers;
- the universal waste rule, which established reduced management requirements for hazardous waste batteries, thermostats, pesticides and lamps;
- the addition of used electronics to the state’s universal waste rule; and
- the corrective action program, including requirements for corrective action at interim status disposal facilities.
As it did with the state’s July 17, 1990 regulations, the Department modified several of the federal rules which were incorporated through these updates. While many of the changes were made for clarification purposes, others continue to make the revised state regulations more stringent or broader in scope than the federal regulations. These changes are consistent with the Department’s previous efforts to adequately protect public health and the environment in Connecticut.
Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (PDF, 530K) Connecticut regulations incorporating 40 CFR 124 and 40 CFR 260 to 279 through January 1, 2001, including corrective action for interim disposal facilities. These regulations also include sections 22a-454-1 and 22a-209-17 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.
40 CFR Subchapter I (40 CFR 1 through 799) link to July 1, 2000 CFR available though the Federal Government Printing Office's website. Includes the federal hazardous waste regulations at 40 CFR 124 and 40 CFR 260 to 279 as referenced above.
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Regulations (PDF, 9K) Section 22a-449(c)-11 of the regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.
Federal Rules Incorporated by Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations:
Federal Rules Incorporated by Reference (PDF, 18K) This document lists the federal rules promulgated from July 1, 1989 to June 30, 1995 which were incorporated in the state’s hazardous waste regulations.
Federal Rules Incorporated by Reference (PDF, 11K) This document lists the federal rules promulgated from July 1, 1995 through January 1, 2001 which have been incorporated in the state’s hazardous waste regulations.
Summary of Revisions Made to Connecticut's Hazardous Waste Management Regulations
The following two fact sheets summarize the revisions made to Connecticut's hazardous waste management regulations. For the convenience of the reader, they are available in both PDF and html format.
- Fact Sheet - New Hazardous Waste Management Regulations - describes some of the important changes that became effective on October 31, 2001 (PDF Version, 201K; html version ).
- Fact Sheet - Revisions to DEEP Hazardous Waste Management Regulations - describes some of the important changes in the regulations that became effective on June 27 and September 10, 2002 (PDF version, 201 K; html version )
Corrective Action for Interim Status Land Disposal Facilities
The Corrective Action at RCRA Land Disposal Facilities fact sheet provides information on revisions to Connecticut’s hazardous waste management regulations concerning the cleanup of certain hazardous waste land disposal facilities. These revisions became effective on September 10, 2002.Content Last Updated January 30, 2013