Underground Storage Tank Petroleum Clean-Up Program
The EPA-approved Connecticut Underground Storage Tank (UST) Petroleum Clean-up Program for a specified time period as noted below enables owners and operators of federally regulated petroleum USTs (motor fuel, used oil, or heating oil for resale) to demonstrate financial responsibility. It provides reimbursement to responsible parties and third parties for investigation and clean-up of releases or suspected releases from such USTs. Heating oil USTs for onsite heating are ineligible for this program.
Due the legislature’s reduction of funding for payment of claims over the past several years, the number of awarded claims awaiting payment has accumulated and jeopardized federal approval of the Program. In response, the state adopted legislation that ensures solvency of the Program and will gradually phase out the Program. Such changes will:
- Provides faster and more efficient processing of applications and payments
- Provides $36 million of funding over four years
- Prioritizes small businesses and municipalities for payment
- Retains federal approval of the program during phase out
This program will expire as a financial responsibility mechanism on:
- October 1, 2012 for those who at that time own, operate, or otherwise have involvement with USTs on more than five (5) separate parcels of real property, both in and out of state
- October 1, 2013 for everyone else
Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
Bureau of Water Protection and Land Reuse
Underground Storage Tank Clean-up Program
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127
Content Last Updated January 22, 2013.