Fall Foliage Driving Routes in Connecticut
Scenic Fairfield - (Approximately 115 miles)
- Begin in Norwalk at Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) exit 38.
- Go north on Routes 123, 106, 33, 35 and 7 to I-84 exit 3 in Danbury.
- Then head east on 84 to exit 6.
- Go north on Routes 37, 30, and 37 to Route 7.
- Take 7 to New Milford.
- Go south on Route 67 to Roxbury, then Route 317 to Woodbury.
- From Woodbury take Route 6 south to I-84 exit 15.
- Jog west on 84 to exit 10, then southwest on Routes 6, 25 and 302 to Route 58.
- Head south on 58 and 136 to Route 15 (Merritt Parkway) exit 42 and head for Norwalk to close the loop.
Traditional New England - (Approximately 100 miles)
- Begin in Torrington.
- Go north on Route 8 to Winsted then northwest on 44 to Canaan.
- Turn south on Route 7 to Kent, then east on 341 to Warren and South on 45 through New Preston.
- Go east on Route 202 for about a mile then turn south on 47 to Washington Depot.
- Turn northeast on Route 109 to East Morris, then north on Route 63 to Litchfield.
- Head east on 118 for a few miles then north on Route 8 to close the loop.
Loop # 3
Hartford West - (Approximately 90 miles)
- Begin in Hartford.
- Take 1-91 north to exit 45 (Bridge Street, East Windsor).
- Head west on Route 140 to the airport, then south on 75 to Route 20.
- Head west through Granby, the Hartlands and Riverton, picking up West River Road south through People's State Forest to Pleasant Valley.
- Continue south on Route 181 to Route 44 and head east through New Hartford, Canton and Avon to Route 10 - south to Farmington.
- Pick up Route 4 and head for Hartford to close the loop.
Yankee Roots - (Approximately 100 miles)
- Begin on I-84 exit 67.
- Go south on Route 31 to the junction of Route 44.
- Take 44 east to Route 195.
- Turn south on 195 to Route 6 and turn east to Brooklyn.
- Pick up Route 169 north to North Woodstock, then go west on Routes 197 and 190 to I-84 exit 73.
- Turn west to close the loop.
CT Heritage - (Approximately 90 miles)
- Begin in New London.
- Take I-95 north across the Thames River to lefthand exit 86.
- Go east on Route 184 to Old Mystic.
- Take Route 27 south to Mystic.
- Go east on Route 1 to Route 2, then north on Route 2, 184 and 49 to Route 14A to Canterbury.
- Head south on Routes 169 and 2 to Norwich then take Route 32 south to close the loop at New London.
Loop #6Connecticut River Gateway - (Approximately 80 miles)
- Begin at Middletown.
- Go south on Route 9 to exit 10.
- Take Route 154 south to Route 148, then head east to a ferryboat crossing. (Note: ferry season in April - November; alternate crossing is the I-95 bridge between Old Lyme and Old Saybrook.)
- From the landing, continue east on 148 and 82 to Route 156, then turn south to I-95.
- Cross the river on 95 to exit 69.
- Head north on Route 154 to Route 82 and recross the river at East Haddam.
- Continue east to Route 151 and turn north to Cobalt.
- Turn left on Route 66 and close the loop at Middletown.
New Haven & Neighborhood - (Approximately 70 miles)
- Begin in New Haven.
- Take I-95 north to exit 51
- Pick up Route 1, then 146 and continue east to Guilford.
- Turn north on Route 77 to Durham, then north on 17 and west on 147, 157, 68 and 70 to Cheshire.
- Take Route 10 south to New Haven to close the loop.
CT Fall Foliage | Current Foliage Report
Where to View Fall Foliage in Connecticut | The Colors of Fall
Why Leaves Change Color