DEEP: Safe Waterskiing Endorsement

Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Effective October 1, 2015, in order to operate a vessel or personal watercraft (ex. Jetski) on Connecticut waters that is towing a skier, tube, or has anyone riding the wake of the vessel,  the operator must:
  1. Be age 16 or older and
  2. Have a valid boating certificate from either Connecticut, a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Connecticut, or a U.S. Coast Guard operatorís license and
  3. Possess a Connecticut Safe Waterskiing Endorsement
Connecticut currently has reciprocity with New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.  We hope to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states before Spring, 2016.
Persons who have obtained any of the certificates listed in #2 (above) prior to October 1, 2015 are exempt from needing the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement.

Beginning October 1, all classroom boating courses approved by the Commissioner resulting in a Connecticut boating safety certificate will now include the information and testing needed to qualify for the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement.  Upon successful completion of the classroom course, the Safe Waterskiing Endorsement will print automatically when the boating certificate is purchased through the Online Sportsmen Licensing webpage.
Boaters from reciprocal states and those with a US Coast Guard Operatorís license that need to obtain a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement may do so though our online course and by following the instructions below:
Obtaining your Safe Waterskiing Endorsement

In order to obtain your Safe Waterskiing Endorsement, you will need to:
  1. Obtain your Conservation Identification (ID) number
  2. Take the Safe Waterskiing Online Course
  3. View the Safe Towing video
  4. Take the examination
  5. Retrieve your Safe Waterskiing Endorsement from the Sportsmen's Database.
1)  Obtain your Conservation Identification number

If you have a Connecticut Hunting or Fishing License, your Conservation ID will be the same ID number that was assigned with the hunting or fishing license.
If you need a Conservation ID number:
  • Go to the Online Sportsmen Licensing System 
  • You MUST use the "Search by Personal Information".   Enter either your drivers license number or social security number to see if you are in the system as having a Conservation ID number previously issued to you.  
  • If you are not found in the system, select the option at the bottom of the screen that reads "Select Here To Receive Your Conservation ID Only For An Education Course Registration", and complete the registration process.  Follow the instructions for "New Customers".
3)  View the Safe Towing video 

4)  Take the examination 
Once you take the exam, your test results will be sent directly to the DEEP Boating Division.  The Boating Division will contact you with your exam score and notify you when you can retrieve your Safe Waterskiing Endorsement.
5)  Once you receive confirmation from the Boating Division that it is available, retrieve your Safe Waterskiing Endorsement from the Online Sportsmen Licensing System 
If you have any questions, please call Jerry Desmond at 860-447-4350 or email
 Thank you for being an educated boater!