June 1, 2011
CT DEP Recreational Trails Grants Program Requesting Proposals
Applications for federal funds due by September 1, 2011
The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is now accepting proposals for Connecticut Recreational Trails Grants. Applications will be accepted through September 1, 2011.
Grant amounts vary and may be made to private non-profit organizations, municipalities and state departments. Proposals will be ranked and set aside in anticipation of the possible release of approximately $1 million of Federal funding. Applicants will be notified as soon as and if funding becomes available.
The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is an assistance program of the U.S. Department of Transportationís Federal Highway Administration. RTP is administered through the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Recreational Trails Program funds may be used for:
Construction of new trails (motorized and non-motorized).
- Maintenance and restoration of existing recreational trails (motorized and non-motorized).
- Access to trails by persons with disabilities.
- Purchase and lease of trail construction and maintenance equipment.
- Acquisition of land or easements for a trail, or for trail corridors.
- Operation of educational programs to promote safety and environmental protection as related to recreational trails.
Highlights of previous grant recipients include:
- The City of Shelton received $73,150 to improve its Recreational Path from the south end of the Lane Street meadow to Wesley Drive allowing this neighborhood to more easily connect with the existing section of trail and to walk or ride a bike to Huntington Center.
- The Friends of Keney Park in Hartford received $96,000 to develop and improve approximately 15 miles of multi-use trails and associated educational programs in the park.
The Rivers Alliance of Connecticut, Inc. received $20,000 to develop a website that will contain information on existing water trails.
The Town of Sprague received $4,460 for Trail Clearing and Mapping at the Sprague Land Preserve.
The Town of Wilton received $180,000 for design of the Norwalk River Valley Trail.
Visit www.ct.gov/dep/rectrails for details and applications.
For further information contact: Laurie Giannotti, DEP Recreational Trails & Greenways Program at (860) 424-3578.