Conservation Education/Firearms Safety
Home Study Course
THE ONLINE PORTION OF THE HOME STUDY COURSE HAS CHANGED
PLEASE REVIEW ALL INFORMATION BELOW
This course is designed for those firearms hunter education students who have scheduling conflicts and find that they cannot attend the evening and weekends required in the current 16 hour Conservation Education/Firearms Safety Program (CE/FS). This course is not easier than the standard course and will require students to plan their schedule in order to successfully complete the ‘Home Study Program’. The home study course requires all students to complete all sections of an online study course and attend a one day Field Day to complete the course. The Field Day will include classroom instruction, hands-on activities and a written exam.
Home Study Course Steps:
- Follow the instructions for registering for one of the home study course Field Days listed below. If a Field Day is not available at this time, keep checking this page, as more Field Days will be scheduled in the future. AFTER REGISTERING, YOU WILL RECEIVE A VOUCHER CODE that you can use to access and complete the online Outdoor Roadmap Hunter Education – Student Training course (Step 2).
- Complete the online Outdoor Roadmap Hunter Education – Student Training course (including all end-of-lesson exams and the final exam) at www.ormtraining.com (see instructions for accessing and using the site). You must achieve a minimum score of 80% on the online final exam to be eligible for the Field Day. You must have a printer connected to your computer to print your certificate from the online course. You will not be admitted to the Field Day training without a printed Certificate of Completion from the online course.
- Review and study the regulation “Control of Actions and Behavior of Hunters” (pdf). There will be an exam at the Field Day on this information.
- Review and study the information at the following web pages:
- CT DEP Hunting and Trapping Page
- 2013 CT Hunting and Trapping Guide
- Tree Stand Safety Information at www.hunterexam.com
- Hunting Ethics Today at www.huntfairchase.com
- Lyme Disease Brochure (pdf) at www.ct.gov/dph
- Bring a copy of the Certificate of Completion from the online course from Outdoor Roadmap to the Field Day as proof of eligibility to attend the Field Day.
- Demonstrate the ability to handle firearms in actual field conditions, such as fence crossing and removing firearms from vehicles at the Field Day.
- Demonstrate shooting ability by firing a .22 caliber rifle or a 20 gauge shotgun. Firearms and ammunition will be provided at the Field Day. Do not bring your own firearms.
- Pass the “Control of Actions and Behavior of Hunters” exam with a score of 100%.
- Pass the CE/FS written final exam at the Field Day with a score of 80% or better.
- CE/FS Hunter Education Certificate of completion will be mailed to passing students approximately two weeks after the Field Day.
|Home Study Field Dates|
|Pre-registration is Mandatory |
|You must complete all aspects of the Home Study Course before attending a field date.|
|This is a listing of currently available field dates. New field dates are added throughout the year.|
||Dates & Times
|No classes currently scheduled.|
Instructions for Accessing and Using the Outdoor Roadmap Hunter Education – Student Training course:
Upon registration for a Field Day, you will be provided with a Voucher Code to use when accessing the online Hunter Education – Student Training course. This Voucher Code will allow you to take the online training course for free. This is an initial trial offering made possible through an arrangement between the DEEP and the vendor to pay for those costs. In the future, this arrangement is subject to change.
Once you have been given the Voucher Code, please follow these steps to have full access to the online course.
- Go to the following website: www.ormtraining.com
- Select Connecticut from the “Choose your State” drop down menu.
- On the “Course Catalog” page click on the shopping cart/$13.00 icon.
- Click on the green box that says “Proceed to your cart”.
- Once at the Shopping Cart page enter the code that was sent to you into the box labeled “Coupon Code” and hit “Apply” then “Proceed to Checkout”.
- You will then be prompted to create your own new account, including your unique user name and password.
- You will see a page confirming your transaction and showing your username and password. You may select “Log in now” to access the course (by entering your unique username and password in the log-in box).
- When you complete the enrollment page you will receive an email message that confirms your unique user name and password and also information on the course.
- If you return at a later date to start training or to continue a partially completed course, you must log in with your unique user name and password at: www.ormtraining.com
- Registration will be limited to a pre-determined number of applicants for each session.
- All students under 18 years of age must be registered by a parent or legal guardian. The parent or guardian must sign the student registration card at the Field Day.
- In the case of inclement weather, an alternate date for the Field Day will be scheduled.
For more information, call:
Franklin WMA office at 860-642-7239 or
Sessions Woods WMA office at 860-675-8130
||The Connecticut CE/FS Program receives 75% of its funds from the Pittman-Robertson Program. The remaining 25% state match is derived by using the value of the services provided by the volunteer instructors. The Pittman-Robertson Program is funded by the excise tax paid by sportsmen on rifles, shotgun, ammunition, handguns and archery equipment.|