DDS: Eligibility Fact Sheet

Eligibility Fact Sheet
Intellectual Disability/Mental Retardation
In order to be eligible for supports or services from the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), a person must:
  1. Be a resident of the State of Connecticut and
  2. Have Intellectual Disability/Mental Retardation as defined in Connecticut General Statutes 1-1g (see below)
    Have a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder
    Provide a medical diagnosis of Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS), which is a neurobehavioral genetic disorder that must be diagnosed by a physician.
Intellectual Disability/Mental Retardation
Per Connecticut General Statutes 1-1g, mental retardation also known as intellectual disability, is defined as: Subsection (a) "mental retardation" means a significant limitation in intellectual functioning and deficits in adaptive behavior that originated during the developmental period before eighteen years of age.
What Does This Mean?
A person has an IQ score of 69 or below as indicated on intelligence/cognitive tests and significant limitations in adaptive functioning, and this began during the developmental period from birth to 17 years of age.
What tests do I need?
To show that an individual has Intellectual Disability/Mental Retardation, you will need to submit a copy of all intelligence/cognitive tests and tests of adaptive functioning.  Scores on intelligence/cognitive tests need to be 69 points or lower.  Significant limitations in intelligence and adaptive skills must be present at the same time and have existed before the individual was 18 years of age.
Where can I get tested and who can test me?
You can get tested for intellectual disability/mental retardation at a clinic, hospital, or school (if you are under 21.)  The evaluator should have a specialty in the age range of the individual and have training, experience, and a competency in diagnosing  intellectual disability/mental retardation.  This might include a psychiatrist, psychologist, neurologist, developmental pediatrician, certified school psychologist, or any other appropriately trained professional with expertise in this area.
What If I Am Found Ineligible?
If a decision of ineligibility is made, the reasons for this decision will be explained in the notification letter.  Also included will be a form for you to submit to request a hearing on the finding of ineligibility.  You may submit this form within 60 days of receiving the eligibility determination.
What Happens If I Am Determined Eligible?
Once eligibility is determined, a DDS Region (see map below) will be assigned to help you access services and supports.  However, eligibility for services does not assure that requests for services can be met immediately.  Services of the Department of Developmental Services are provided on a priority basis and within available appropriations.
{DMR Region Map}
Eligibility_Fact_Sheet_Reworked MB 11.06.13

Content Last Modified on 11/21/2013 2:54:44 PM