September 9, 2013
Department of Consumer Protection Alerts Consumers to Recall of Certain Lubricating Eye Drops Due to Faulty Preservative
HARTFORD, September 9 The Department of Consumer Protection is alerting the public to a recall of the following lubricating eye drops sold at CVS, Wall-Mart and Target stores. While there have been no reports of adverse effects to consumers so far, complaints of mold found in the 30 mL bottles after use and concerns regarding the effectiveness of the preservative have prompted the recall.
Certain lots of:
· equate Restore Tears Lubricant Eye Drops Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium 0.5%, Sterile, 1 FL OZ (30 mL) - Distributed by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
· Lubricant EYE DROPS FOR MILD TO MODERATE DRY EYE, STERILE, 1 FL OZ (30 mL), for Mild to Moderate Dry Eye - Distributed by CVS Pharmacy, Inc.
· lubricant eye drops for mild to moderate dry eye, STERILE, 1 FL OZ (30 mL) Distributed by Target Corp.
Only the lots listed below are affected, and the recall is limited to the product in the 30 mL size:
· Lot # 11440, expiration date 09/2013, labeled for CVS;
· Lot # 11441, expiration date 09/2013, labeled for CVS;
· Lot # 12042, expiration date 01/2014, labeled for Wal-Mart and CVS;
· Lot # 12103, expiration date 02/2015, labeled for Wal-Mart;
· Lot # 12203, expiration date 05/2015, labeled for Wal-Mart and CVS;
· Lot # 12207, expiration date 05/2015, labeled for Wal-Mart;
· Lot # 12293, expiration date 08/2015, labeled for Wal-Mart;
· Lot # 12352, expiration date 09/2015, labeled for Target and CVS;
· Lot # 12356, expiration date 09/2015, labeled for Target and CVS.
Altaire Pharmaceuticals, Inc., is voluntarily recalling a total of nine (9) lots of its Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium 0.5% Ophthalmic Solution, 30 mL, due to possible problems with the preservative, which creates a potential risk for eye infection.
Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium 0.5% Ophthalmic Solution is a non-prescription (OTC) drug product used to relieve dryness of the eye and packaged in a plastic bottle inside a unit box. Lot numbers can be found printed horizontally on the side of the label and on the bottom flap of the box. The lots listed above were distributed between February 2012 and April 2013. The product was sold nationwide at retail stores.
Consumers who have the product with any of the lot numbers listed above should stop use of the product immediately and return it to the place of purchase for a refund. Consumers with questions regarding this recall can contact Altaire Pharmaceuticals at 1-800-258-2471, Monday Friday from 9 am 5 pm ET. Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they have experienced any problems that may be related to taking or using this drug product.
Media Contact: Claudette Carveth
Content Last Modified on 9/9/2013 12:37:29 PM