Basic Certification Course
This is a 4-day training: May 21, 23, 24 and 28, 2013
The Basic course is designed to initially prepare non-medically licensed staff with the skills to safely administer medications to children in DCF licensed or operated child caring facilities. The Basic certification requires 1) satisfactory attendance for classroom instruction, 2) skills verification, 3) passing a written exam and 4) successfully completing an internship at the employing facility.
The Basic certification course is conducted by a DCF nurse instructor or by a facility employed or contracted licensed medical personnel endorsed as an instructor by DCF.
The goal of the training is to teach safe medication administration principles and practices. Facility directors and participants must understand that the course is fast-paced and technical.
Participants must be employed by a DCF licensed or operated child caring facility or extended day treatment center.
Participants must be recommended by their facility director or designee as indicated by a completed, signed course registration form.
Participants must have a high school diploma or equivalent; in the absence of a diploma or equivalent, the director of the employing facility must approve the person’s eligibility. A copy of this approval must be placed in the employees file and available upon request.
Participants must be capable of reading and understanding complex information and be able to perform basic math calculations.
Basic Certification Course Components:
1. Class time – Classes are scheduled to take place over several days and will consist of approximately 24 hours of class time.
Participants may not miss more than four hours of class time to remain eligible to take the written exam.
2. Skills Verification - Specific skills necessary for safe medication administration will be taught during class. Participants must be able to demonstrate those skills correctly before sitting for the written exam.
3. Written Exam – multiple choice, true/false, matching and fill in the blank questions.
- A score of 85% or better is required to pass the written exam.
- Participants who fail the exam on their first attempt may retake the exam one time.
Those who fail a second time must retake the entire Basic course before testing for a third time.
Those who fail three exams consecutively are not eligible to pursue DCF medication administration certification for 5 years from the date of last failed exam.