DCF: Ways To Help Children

Ways To Help Children

There are many ways to help children in Connecticut.

Here are a few ideas to get you started

Report Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect:  If you suspect a child is being physically, sexually, or emotionally abused, or is in danger of being abused, call the Child Abuse and Neglect Careline which is staffed by child protective staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The toll free number is 1-800-842-2288. Also, see the child abuse and neglect definitions that are part of this website.

We All Have Love To Give: Foster and adoptive parents are needed to provide temporary or permanent care for abused or neglected children all over the state. Foster and adoptive parents receive training, support and financial assistance.You can be married, single or divorced. They can rent or own their own home, and can work outside the home if they can provide appropriate child care during their absence. For information, please call 1-888-KID HERO, or visit www.ctfosteradopt.com for more information.

Be a Mentor:  Help a teen learn to live on his or her own. By spending a few hours a week with a young person, you can help him or her with finding an apartment, getting a job, budgeting or linking him/her up with community services. But mostly, you can give personal support and guidance. Click here for more information about Mentoring.

Volunteer at Facilities for Children:  To help children who have mental health needs, please call Solnit Center - South Campus in Middletown at  860-704-4091. To help children with emotional problems, please call the Solnit Center - North Campus at 860-292-4000.

Covenant to Care:  Help provide goods and services for abused, neglected and at-risk children and their families through your religious community. For more information, please call (860) 243-1806, or visit their website at Covenant To Care. (external link)

Children in Placement:  Be an advocate for children in foster care during the judicial process. Please call (203) 784-0344, or visit their website at Children in Placement. (external link)

Children's Trust Fund:  Make a contribution to support child abuse prevention.  Please visit the Children's Trust Fund site for more information. (external link)

Youth Service Bureaus:  You can support your local youth service bureau by serving on an advisory board or fund-raising committee, or volunteering in some other capacity.  Please visit the Youth Services Association to find a youth service bureau in your area. (external link)