CTVA: State Benefits

State Benefits

The information contained in this web site should be used as a guide to veteransí rights and entitlements. Due to the brevity of this site, however, it must be understood that it serves only as a guide in an attempt to summarize benefits and programs. Veterans are eligible for a variety of state benefits. Eligibility requirements may vary according to the benefits program. At the time a veteran applies for benefits he/she must be a resident of the State of Connecticut.  Some benefits require (90) days of active duty during a defined period of war in order to qualify, unless the veteran was separated earlier due to a service-connected disability or the period of war lasted less the (90) days.  Veterans may also be eligible if they served in a combat or combat-supporting role (see below).  Connecticut recognizes periods of war ranging from the Spanish-American War to the Persian Gulf, and Iraqi Freedom.  These periods are defined in CGS Sec.27-103(a).


Those who served in the following manner may qualify for benefits:

Active duty for at least ninety (90) days:

World War II - December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
Korean Hostilities - June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
Vietnam - February 28, 1961 to July 1, 1975
Persian Gulf Era (August 2, 1990 - a date to be determined by Presidential proclamation or federal law - Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and Iraqi Freedom are included in this category).

OR, Engaged in combat or in combat support role in the:

Lebanon Conflict - July 1, 1958 to November 1, 1958
Peace-keeping Mission in Lebanon - September 29, 1982 to March 30, 1984
Grenada Invasion - October25, 1983 to December 15, 1983
Operation Earnest Will - July 24, 1987 to August 1, 1990
Panama Invasion - December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990


Any veteran with ninety (90) days active duty and with other than a dishonorable discharge is eligible for burial in a state veteransí cemetery. (CGS Sec. 27-122b). Spouses are also eligible for this benefit. Grave markers are provided.  Select for a pamphlet about State Veterans' Cemeteries.

Select for required documents and Federal Compliance Statement.


Veterans may attend Connecticut Public Colleges and Universities tuition free. Connecticut statutes provide that tuition may be waived for qualified veterans attending the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State Universities and the 12 Community-Technical Colleges. Waivers cover only the cost of tuition for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking, and room and board, are not waived. To qualify for a waiver at the University of Connecticut and Connecticut State Universities, veterans generally must be matriculated, that is, admitted to a degree program. The Community-Technical Colleges are more flexible. Remember to take a copy of your separation papers with you when applying for admission and registering for courses.


Tuition waivers for veterans cover 100% of tuition for General Fund courses at all public colleges and universities and 50% for Extension Fund and summer courses at Connecticut State Universities.

 For more information it is highly recommended you contact the Veterans Services or Financial Aid/Bursarís Office of the school you are interested in attending.  Please click on one of the links for more information:


University of Connecticut:




Connecticut State University System (Eastern, Central, Western, Southern):




Connecticut Community Colleges:



(choose the link to the specific community college and find the link directing you to information for veterans)



To be eligible for veteransí tuition benefits at any college or university, a veteran must be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, 90 days active Military duty during war, and must have resided in Connecticut for at least one year upon enrolling in college.


Local Boards of Education may award high school diplomas to those World War II veterans who did not receive them when they left high school before graduation for military service. [PA 00-124]


State law provides for free motor vehicle registration and special plates for former prisoners of war and recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Veterans who were state residents at the time of induction and who apply within two (2) years of receiving an honorable discharge are exempt from paying for an operatorís license and examination fees for one (1) licensing period (CGS Sec. 14-50 ©).

State law also provides that fees may be waived for the following registration items, subject to a formal determination by the Department of Motor Vehicles:

- Special license plates for disabled veterans, and Special-fee license plates for certain disabilities (loss of use of or loss of limb, or blindness) for handicapped and overtime parking.


Veterans, who have ninety (90) days of wartime service, including Merchant Marines who served during WWII, are eligible for a $1,500 exemption for property tax purposes (e.g., real estate property or automobiles).

Veterans below a certain income level and/or disabled veterans are eligible for additional property tax exemptions. Surviving spouses of veterans may also be eligible for this benefit. Contact your municipalityís Tax Assessor Officer for specific details. [(CGS Sec. 12-81, CGS sec. 12-81g) 

An exemption is the reduction of the propertyís assessed value for tax purposes. (CGS Sec. 12-81)


Towns that evaluate after October 1988 must adjust their veteranís property tax exemptions above statutory limits. The adjustment must be proportionate to the change in the value of the townís grand list following revaluation. [CGS sec. 12-62)


Pursuant to Public Act 16-184 Connecticut Veteran-owned micro businesses shall be afforded a fifteen per cent price preference in the determination of the lowest responsible qualified bidder by the Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) pursuant to Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 4a-59 as amended.

ELIGIBILITY: To receive the fifteen per cent price preference, a bidding business must first obtain a Veteran-owned Micro Business certification from the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs. The Certification is valid for six months or until such time as the business is no longer in compliance with the statutory requirements, which ever occurs first. The Certification must be submitted to DAS along with your business' state contract bid.


Content Last Modified on 9/13/2016 9:13:26 AM