Approved February 11,
Information & Education and Legislative Program & Policy Committee
Connecticut Council on Developmental
Beth El Temple
2626 Albany Avenue
West Hartford, CT
January 12, 2016
Present: Chris Blake, April Burke, Michelle Duprey,
Joyce Lewis, Shelagh McClure, Meg McDermott, Kathy Wolkner, Jackie Jamison,
Tony Orriola, Ada Suarez, John Curtin, Michelle Chase, Michelle Johnson
Absent: Robin Wood
1. Approval of Agenda: The
meeting was called to order at 12:46 PM. Joyce Lewis moved to approve the
agenda. John Curtin seconded the motion. The agenda was approved
unanimously, with Jackie Jamison, Tony Orriola and Michelle Chase abstaining.
2. Approval of Minutes: Shelagh McClure moved to
approve the minutes from the Nov. 10, 2015 meeting. Joyce Lewis seconded
the motion and the minutes were approved with John Curtin, Michelle Chase,
Jackie Jamison and Tony Orriola abstaining.
3. Discussion of APIE/LPP Role:
- APIE/LPP Committee is not 2
separate committees working together. It
is 1 core group working together with people that have different talents/interests
toward a common goal.
committee needs to move forward. In the event that a quorum is not
present for a meeting/conference call, those in attendance should discuss the
agenda items and then schedule another meeting as soon as possible to present
what was decided, and call for a vote on the action items.
- Give a couple of options for
meeting time/day to get better attendance.
4. Discuss an Action Plan:
- Explore the possibility of making
a 30 minute video to explain who the Council is, their goals, purpose, and
- It would have to be determined
what the impact will be on this project with Communications Director Joan
Barnish no longer working for DDS.
- Shelagh will read the packet of
information provided by DDS on how to create a video. She will then make
recommendations on whether to proceed.
- If the committee votes to
proceed, Shelagh, Joyce and Chris offered to write a script.
- Approval of the script would
need a committee vote.
- The script would then be
submitted to DDS to make arrangements to film.
5. Next Steps:
- Chris and April will send Cathy possible dates for the
next Council meeting.
- Cathy will send out an e-mail to everyone asking their
- All committee members will make an effort to get on the
Cross Disability Alliance Legislative Conference calls. Everyone will be provided the telephone
access number and date as soon as it is announced.
- All committee members should make contact with their State
legislators before the next meeting.
Thank them for the support they have given, and their interest in
disability issues. Sign up for the
6. Adjourn: April Burke made a motion to adjourn. John
Curtin seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. The
meeting was adjourned at 1:59 PM.