CID: New Releases (9/1/2011): Insurance Department Offers Tips For Filing Flood Insurance Claims - Must Be Filed Within 60 Days of Flood

{Connecticut Insurance Department}
Insurance Department
153 Market Street
Hartford, CT 06103

Donna Tommelleo
September 1st, 2011

Insurance Department Offers Tips For Filing Flood Insurance Claims
Must Be Filed Within 60 Days of Flood
For property owners with flood insurance policies, the Connecticut Insurance Department and National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) offers the following tips for filing claims. Note: Claims must be filed within 60 days of the flood.
After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, contact your insurance company or the Connecticut Insurance Department. Have the following information ready:
  • The name of your insurance company
  • Your policy number
  • A telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times
  • You can find contact information for your insurance company on the Departmentís Irene Resource page.
Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.
  • Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.
  • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.
  • Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.
Your adjuster will provide you a Proof of Loss form for your official claim for damages. You'll need to file this claim with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.
You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss form. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments because of the sheer number of claims submitted.
For More information visit or contact the Connecticut Insurance Department at 800-203-3447 or visit our Web site at


Content Last Modified on 9/1/2011 11:21:47 AM