CID: Catastrophe Adjuster Licensing Program

Catastrophe Adjuster Licensing Program

Recognizing the need for INSURANCE COMPANIES to mobilize substantial out-of-state assistance in order to meet the needs of Connecticut residents, the Commissioner may invoke the following Catastrophe Licensing Program, in the event of an emergency situation:
  1. Insurers must send an email to: for permission to handle catastrophe claims in Connecticut, specifying exact nature of catastrophe (snow storm, flood, tornado, etc.), and the part of the state (county) affected. The e-mail MUST include the company's NAIC number. Applications must be made by insurers only. Claims company requests WILL NOT be honored.
  1. B. Include list of all personnel who will be working in the state: their home state, names(s), address(es) of adjusting firm(s) if being utilized, AND copies of the licenses of personnel currently licensed in their home state or any state where they hold an active Casualty Adjuster license.  Please do not include currently licensed resident or non-resident Connecticut adjusters. They do not need additional approval to adjust catastrophe claims. Any additions or deletions must be provided to the Connecticut Insurance Department on a timely basis..
  1. If home state does not require licensing and the adjuster does not hold an active adjuster license in any other state, the insurance company must verify in writing that the individual has a minimum of two (2) years experience as an adjuster/appraiser.  Circumstances outside the above two criteria will require evaluation by the Department.
  1. The Department will send a letter to the company authorizing a list of individuals for a period of 90 days.  A copy of the letter should be given to each adjuster.  Authorization is renewable for additional periods dependent upon performance, complaints, etc.  The Commissioner may revoke authority at any time.
  1. Company must provide each individual with a photo identification, which should be displayed at all times.

Pursuant to Connecticut Regulations (38a-792-3), any Connecticut licensed Property and Casualty producer of any insurance company has authority to settle losses not exceeding $1,500, when such losses are property damage losses.
PUBLIC ADJUSTERS Ė Only Public Adjusters licensed by the Connecticut Insurance Department will be permitted to operate within the state.
All correspondence, requests and documentation should be submitted to the attention of Gina Mitchell, Licensing Unit.
Phone:  860-297-3849
Fax: 860-297-3978
Mail: State of Connecticut
Insurance Department
PO Box 816
Hartford, CT 06142-0816
Overnight Mail: State of Connecticut Insurance Department
153 Market Street, 7th FL
  Hartford, CT 06103

Content Last Modified on 11/5/2012 2:54:16 PM