FEMA Fire Prevention and Safety Grants Application Period
Starting Monday, December 17, 2012, online applications will be accepted for FY 2012 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grants. The deadline for all FP&S grant applications will be Friday, January 18, 2013, at 5 p.m. Eastern Time (ET).
How to Apply
For information on how to apply, visit the FP&S Grants Web page on the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) Website (www.fema.gov/firegrants).
The first step is to read the FY 2012 FP&S Funding Opportunity Announcement. This document describes how to apply for a grant, activities that will be funded, types of organizations that are eligible to receive awards, the evaluation criteria for making awards, and the federal requirements for grantees.
While the format of the FY 2012 Funding Opportunity Announcement has been updated, the funding priorities, eligibility criteria, and evaluation criteria remain the same as they were for the FY 2011 FP&S Grant Program.
Activities Eligible for Fire Prevention and Safety Grants:
- Fire Prevention and Safety Activity: Projects designed to reach high-risk target groups and mitigate the incidence of death and injuries caused by fire and fire-related hazards.
- Firefighter Safety Research and Development Activity: Projects aimed at improving firefighter safety, health, and wellness through research and development that reduces firefighter fatalities and injuries.
A number of resources have been developed to help potential applicants plan and submit their FP&S grant applications. The following resources can be downloaded from the FP&S Grants Web page:
- FP&S Grants Get Ready Guide. A short guide to help you kick-start your grant application and identify and address the most important elements of all the grant application questions.
- FP&S Grant Self-Evaluation Sheet. Based on the application scoring dimensions used by peer reviewers, this tool can help you assess your organization's readiness to apply for a grant and help you plan your grant application.
- Fire Prevention and Safety Grants video: Provides a short overview of the FP&S Grant Program, including highlights of eligible activities.
- Community Risk Assessment and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants video: Describes the different types of risk assessments that applicants can use and explains how the risk assessment's information can support grant requests. Community risk assessments are critical to creating an effective fire prevention and safety project, and they are required to obtain a FP&S grant.
AFG Help Desk. If you have questions about the FP&S Funding Opportunity Announcement or any of the resources, contact the AFG Help Desk by telephone (toll-free at 1-866-274-0960) or by e-mail (email@example.com).