bopp: Pardon Application Process

Pardon Application Process and Instructions (Haga clic aquí para la versión española)
This application is for people who are not currently on any form of supervision (i.e. probation or parole) and who are applying for a pardon.
1. Full Pardon: You may apply to the Pardons Board for a full pardon, which is an absolute erasure of your criminal record three (3) years after the date of disposition of your most recent misdemeanor conviction and five (5) years after the date of disposition of your most recent felony conviction. You cannot apply for erasure of one offense and not another. Only your entire criminal history will be considered for a full pardon.
2. Provisional Pardon: A provisional pardon is for employment and licensing purposes
only. A provisional pardon does not erase your criminal history. You may apply for a
provisional pardon at any time after being convicted.
Note: If you are currently incarcerated, on probation, or on any form of parole and you are seeking a full pardon (the expunging of your record), or commutation of your sentence, please use the “Application for Clemency by Current Offender” form. You can get this form at , by sending a request to your Correctional Counselor,or by calling the Pardons Unit at the Board of Pardons and Parole at (203) 805-6643. If you are currently under any form of supervision you are also required to submit a Supervising Officer Questionnaire, completed by your current Parole/Probation Officer. You can get this questionnaire at , or by calling the Pardons Unit at the Board of Pardons and Parole at (203) 805-6643. If you are applying for a full pardon, your application will also be considered for aprovisional pardon.
  1. Determine if you are eligible for a pardon. (See above)
  2. Read the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website
  3. Follow the instructions in the ‘Documents Needed to Complete the Pardon Application’ below
  4. Complete the pardons application.
    1. The Background Investigation Authorization form (see page 10 of the Application for a Connecticut Full or Provisional Pardon’) must be signed and notarized by a Notary Public.
    2. A minimum of three (3) reference questionnaire forms must be completed by the person making a character reference for you. Only one reference may come from a family member who is related to you by blood or marriage. References can attach a sheet to the questionnaire form as long as they indicate that they understand that you are applying for a pardon and they list all of the crimes for which you have been convicted.
    3. If you are currently on probation and only applying for a provisional pardon, a Supervising Officer Questionnaire must be completed (by the Office of Adult Probation) and attached.
    4. Attach a photocopy of your current driver’s license or state identification card. Notify the Pardons Board of any address or telephone number changes immediately.
    5. Attach any other documentation you wish to include for the Pardons Board to consider (Ex: certificates, resumes, evaluations, etc.). Attach proof of either employment or your source(s) of income (E.g. unemployment, disability payments, most recent W-2 form, letter/s from source of financial support, etc.)
Send the original documents to:
Board of Pardons and Paroles
Attn: Pardons Unit
55 West Main Street, Suite 520
Waterbury, CT 06702
Please Note: Applications are processed continuously on a first-come, first-served basis. Due to the high volume of applications, applications will not be accepted in person. Make and keep a copy of the application and all documents for your personal records. Applications and supporting
documentation will not be returned to you. If you would like to confirm that your application has been received, use Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. The Pardons Board is not responsible for applications that are lost.
Documents Needed for Pardon Application (Haga clic aquí para la versión española)
It is important that complete and accurate documents be provided when the application is submitted to the Pardons Board. 
Step 1:
  • Fill out the Criminal History Request form found in the Pardon Application
  • Mail or bring the form to the DESPP-Division of State Police, Bureau of Identification, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT 06457-2389; telephone (860) 685-8480. 
    • You must submit a complete set of fingerprints with the form, along with a $50 check or money order payable to "Treasurer-State of CT". You can obtain your fingerprints from any local police department (ask the police to use the green DPS 125c form or its local equivalent), or at the DESPP-Division of State Police, Bureau of Identification for an additional $15 fee.  DESPP may use an electronic fingerprint system (AFIS), in place of the fingerprint card, if you have the fingerprints taken at their Middletown facility.   
    • Even if you drop the Criminal History Request (Pardon) form off in person, the criminal history will still be mailed to your address. 
  • IMPORTANT NOTE:  The only criminal history report that is valid for a pardons application is the one that says “Pardons” at the top.  Criminal history reports produced by the Division of the State Police for purposes other than pardons are not valid for pardons processing. 
Step 2:
  • Obtain a copy of the police report(s) for any arrest that resulted in a conviction that has occurred within the last ten (10) years.  If the arrest was more than ten (10) years ago, you are not required to obtain a report
    • If no police report is available for an arrest that was less than ten (10) years ago, get a letter from the arresting police department stating that no report(s) exists.
    • You may find the arresting department’s name and police case number on the criminal history sheet supplied by the State Police. The fee for copies varies by police department.
Step 3:
  • If you have ever served a period of probation, you must obtain a letter from the office of Adult Probation that supervised you, indicating the date on which you discharged from any period or periods of probation and the status of your discharge ( i.e. probation was successful or unsuccessful).
If you do not disclose a conviction in your application and it is later discovered by the Pardons Board, after you have been granted a pardon, your pardon may be revoked and you may be prosecuted for perjury.

The State Police may not have every criminal conviction. If you were convicted of crimes that are not listed on the criminal history sheet, please explain those convictions in your application. You are not required to obtain the official criminal record(s) for out of state convictions, but you must mention those convictions in your application.

The criminal history you submit cannot be more than a year old.   Some motor vehicle convictions will affect your criminal record. This is especially true of Reckless Driving, DUI and DWI type offenses.


Content Last Modified on 9/19/2014 8:15:05 AM