Action Steps for Emergency Preparedness
1. Have I prepared a GO KIT (Emergency Evacuation Kit)?
Websites with information on GO KITS include:
Persons with Functional Needs http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/disabled.html
American Red Cross
click on BE RED CROSS READY
Building an Emergency Kit: Checklist
2. Essential Planning
- Have I planned two ways to exit any room at home, work, hotel, or place of entertainment?
- Do I have a plan for my Service Animals and/or pets?
- Have these safety plans been completed, discussed and practiced with family members?
- Do I have a plan for staying at home safely?
- Do I have a plan for getting to a shelter with a travel kit that includes my medications?
- Have I developed a plan for family communication?
- Have I developed a personal support network?
- Have I developed a transportation option?
3. Staying informed
Knowing what might happen and how it will affect you.
Listen to radio/TV, register with 911 call centers for emergency notifications: CTAlert.Gov, etc.