October 15 - December 7th is the Open Enrollment Period (OEP) for Medicare. You can change your plan during this time!
To learn more about Medicare Open Enrollment from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, follow this link
or visit medicare.gov
to view your options online.
To speak with a CHOICES counselor to see if there's a better plan for you contact your local Area Agency on Aging by calling 1-800-994-9422.
What it CHOICES?
Connecticut’s program for Health insurance assistance, Outreach, Information and referral, Counseling, Eligibility Screening.
• Call CHOICES at 1-800-994-9422 to speak with a counselor in your area
The CHOICES Program:
• Provides information to persons age 60 and older and persons with disabilities.
• Is a cooperative program of the State of Connecticut Department of Social Services, the Area Agencies on Aging, and the Center for Medicare Advocacy.
• Is comprised of both Staff and Volunteers.
• Is also known as the CT SHIP or State Health Insurance Assistance Program.
• Is funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Administration on Aging through the Older Americans Act.
• Produces the following guides:
-Original Medicare and Supplemental Options
-Medicare and Managed Care (HMO) Choices
-Prescription Drug Assistance
-Guides related to Medicare Rx
Information on Health Insurance Assistance:
• CHOICES provides information and assistance about Medicare and other related health insurance options including:
| Original Medicare
|| Medicare Rx|
| Medicare Supplement Insurance
| Medicare Managed Care (HMO) Insurance
|| Long Term Care Insurance|
Information and Referral
• CHOICES is a “one-stop shopping” information source for services available to older adults. Referrals to appropriate agencies is another offering which enables individuals to access needed services. Area Agencies on Aging provide direction to local service providers who can specifically address any one of the following problems or concerns that older persons and their families may be encountering:
|Adult Day Care
• Area Agency on Aging staff provide information and preliminary screening for more than 20 federal and state benefit programs. Actual eligibility determinations for benefits and programs can only be made through a formal application process with the appropriate federal, state, or local agency managing program. Programs include:
|Supplemental Security Income
|Medicare Savings Programs: QMB, SLMB
|Connecticut Home Care Program
Area Agency on Aging in your area
CHOICES Volunteer Information
CHOICES Volunteer Opportunities
Many people are unaware of the contributions they can make to help seniors better understand their Medicare options. By volunteering with CHOICES, you can become an integral member of the growing effort to educate senior consumers about Medicare, health care fraud and consumer rights, as well has empower them to recognize suspected fraud, protect themselves from it, and report it.
What will you get out of it? You will be educated regularly on issues pertaining to Medicare and health care fraud and scams. You will have continued support from CHOICES staff and other volunteers. YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a CHOICES Volunteer please call 1-800-994-9422.
CHOICES Volunteer Training Library
CHOICES Photo Gallery
For additional information about the CHOICES program please contact Saundra Leubner, CHOICES State Coordinator, at (860) 424-5023 or email@example.com