What is CHOICES?
Connecticut’s program for Health insurance assistance, Outreach, Information and referral, Counseling, Eligibility Screening.
Special Announcements and Events:
Medicare open enrollment period is October 15th through December 7th. Call a certified CHOICES counselor for free, unbiased information or go to an open enrollment event. CHOICES has partnered with NAMI-CT to provide Medicare Presentations for beneficiaries who are New to Medicare. Beneficiaries and caregivers who attend the presentation will be able to learn valuable information about Medicare benefits and options. If you would like to attend a Medicare presentation, connect with a certified CHOICES counselor or learn more about CHOICES call 1-800-994-9422. If your group or agency would like CHOICES to provide a presentation about Medicare benefits and options, contact one of the CHOICES Regional Coordinator’s listed below.
Individuals on the Medicare Savings Program, or those on the low income subsidy (extra help), can make changes to their Medicare plans throughout the year. Beneficiaries are encouraged to review their options. Contact a CHOICES Certified counselor at 1-800-994-9422 for assistance.
Counselors make a difference! Learn more
about becoming a volunteer CHOICES Certified Counselor.
The CHOICES Program:
Provides information to persons age 60 and older and persons with disabilities.
Is a cooperative program of the State of Connecticut Department on Aging, the Area Agencies on Aging, and the Center for Medicare Advocacy.
Is comprised of both staff, in-kind professionals from local service agencies and volunteers.
Is also known as the CT SHIP or State Health Insurance Assistance Program.
Is funded by the Administration for Community Living, US Department of Health and Human Services and the Administration on Aging through the Older Americans Act.
Information on Health Insurance Assistance:
• CHOICES provides information and assistance about Medicare and other related health insurance options including:
||Medicare Prescription Drug Plans|
|Medicare Supplement Insurance
|Medicaid/Benefits that work with Medicare|
|Medicare Managed Care Insurance
||Long-term Care Insurance|
|New to Medicare - enrollment dates and informaiton
Transitioning to Medicare from other benefits
Information and Referral
• CHOICES is a “one-stop shopping” information source for services available to older adults. Referrals to appropriate agencies is another offering which enables individuals to access needed services. Area Agencies on Aging provide direction to local service providers who can specifically address any one of the following problems or concerns that older persons and their families may be encountering:
|Adult Day Care
• Area Agency on Aging staff provide information and preliminary screening for more than 20 federal and state benefit programs. Actual eligibility determinations for benefits and programs can only be made through a formal application process with the appropriate federal, state, or local agency managing program. Programs include:
|Supplemental Security Income
Medicare Savings Programs: QMB, SLMB, ALMB
|Connecticut Home Care Program
- Eastern, Middlesex, Shoreline areas of CT-
Laura Crews, 860-887-3561 ext 129
Senior Resources Agency on Aging
- North Central areas of CT-
Cynthia Del Favero, 860-724-6443 ext 251
North Central Area Agency on Aging
- South Central areas of CT-
Leslie Pruitt, 203-785-8533 ext 3165
Agency on Aging of South Central CT
- Southwestern areas of CT-
Sharon Gesek, 203-814-3686
Southwestern CT Agency on Aging
- Western areas of CT
Magaly Bravo, 203-757-5449
Western CT Area Agency on Aging
Content Last Modified on 12/1/2016 2:31:02 PM