Attorney General: State Settles Kevin King Case

Connecticut Attorney General's Office

Press Release

State Settles Kevin King Case

February 15, 2001

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal today announced a settlement in State of Connecticut v. Kevin King, which ensures that Kevin King will receive no proceeds from his lawsuit against two state correctional officers whom he claimed beat him after a failed prison escape. During that escape attempt, King beat and stabbed a state corrections officer, Elizabeth Jannetty-Prete.

"This settlement accomplishes our main goals of helping the victims of Kevin King's vicious criminality and keeping the money out of his hands," Blumenthal said. "Some relief will go to the family of Patricia Urbanski and also Corrections Officer Elizabeth Jannetty-Prete, although neither can be fully compensated financially for the inhuman cruelty and pain King inflicted."

King has been serving a life sentence without the possibility parole for the 1992 rape and murder of 15-year-old Patricia Urbanski.

The judgment proceeds from King's civil suit, roughly $400,000 will be divided evenly -- each receiving approximately $62,500 -- between Jannetty-Prete, Patricia Urbanski's family, the State, and two insurance companies, which paid the Urbanski family $1.7 million under a previous settlement. Also, as required by an agreement between King and his legal counsel, $150,000 will be paid toward attorneys fees and expenses incurred by the law firm of Williams and Pattis, which represented King in his lawsuit against the two state correctional officers.

This settlement follows an extensive fight by the Office of the Attorney General to bar King from receiving any money from the $2.1 million judgment he obtained against the two corrections officers. First, the Attorney General, through a motion filed with the U.S. District Court to cut the size of the judgment, was successful in reducing the amount of the jury verdict to $375,000. Second, the Attorney General sued Kevin King in state court for the cost of his incarceration. He also attempted to overturn the federal court judgment altogether by filing an appeal with the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. When that appeal was denied, the Attorney General moved quickly to settle his state court action, and other related litigation, to prevent King from obtaining any part of the $375,000 judgment.