Resource Assessment Pursuant to Executive Order Number 59
In accordance with the executive order signed by Governor Malloy on July 25, 2017, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority will conduct an assessment to evaluate the current and projected economic viability of the Millstone nuclear generating facilities in order for the state to determine a path forward that best benefits the residents of Connecticut.
The assessment will include:
- A review of the current and projected economic viability of the Millstone nuclear generating facilities using best available information,
- The role of existing nuclear generating facilities, as well as large scale hydropower, demand reduction measures, energy storage, and emissions-free renewable energy, in helping Connecticut meet interim and long-term carbon and other emissions targets at the least cost and with the greatest net benefit to Connecticut ratepayers, while maintaining the reliability of Connecticut’s electric grid,
- The best mechanisms to ensure continued progress toward those targets, and considerations for whether and, if so, how such mechanisms, including potential multistate collaborations, should be implemented, and
- The compatibility of such mechanisms with competitive wholesale and retail electricity markets and their effect on ratepayers.
The findings of the assessment will be submitted to the Governor and the state legislature prior to the start of the 2018 regular session of the General Assembly.
Notice of Proceeding
- Docket No. 17-07-32 - DEEP and PURA Joint Proceeding to Implement the Governor's Executive Order Number 59
July 25, 2017 - Press Release
- Gov. Malloy Signs Executive Order Directing a Resource Assessment to be Conducted on the Economic Viability of the Millstone Nuclear Generating Facilities