DEEP: Environmental Contacts for Hartford Neigborhoods

Environmental Contacts for Hartford Neighborhoods

This chart was originally put together by the DEP Hartford Neighborhood Environmental Project to help block captains become aware of the environmental and health related issues in their neighborhoods. For most of the topics, there are several contact names and phone numbers in case the first person you call is not available. If you have any questions on the chart or you are unsure of who to call, contact Mary Sherwin or Judy Prill at the DEP Office of Pollution Prevention at (860) 424-3297. Pamphlets listed in the chart can be obtained by contacting Mary or Judy at the same number.

Agency Abbreviations Used in this Chart: {grouping of brightly colored city buildings}

  • CRRA: Connecticut Resource Recovery Agency
  • DEP: Connecticut Dept. of Environmental Protection .
  • DMV: Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
  • DOT: Connecticut Dept. of Transportation
  • DPH: Connecticut Dept. of Public Health
  • DPW: Hartford Dept. of Public Works
  • EPA: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
  • HHD: Hartford Health Dept
  • HPD: Hartford Police Dept.
  • MDC: Metropolitan District Commission
  • OSHA: Occupational Safety & Health Administration

Topic or Question

Background Information

City Contact

State or Other Contact





Many materials in pre-1970 homes contain asbestos, including insulation on pipes and furnaces as well as floor tiles and shingles. Releasing fibers is a potential health risk.

Additional resource: The Indoor Air Quality section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Pamphlet available from the CT Dept. of Public Health: Asbestos Information for the Homeowner


License to Remove & Health Questions: Ron Skomro, DPH, (860) 509-7367

Worker Safety: Federal OSHA
(860) 240-3152

(860) 263-6900

Animals Unwanted

(other than rats)

Skunks, bats, raccoons, crows, and possums may become a nuisance or health and safety hazard.

See separate section for rats.

Animal Control Officer, HPD, (860) 527-6300

DEP - Wildlife, (860) 424-3011

Carbon Monoxide






High levels of carbon monoxide (CO) can build up in homes if fuel-burning appliances are not properly working or are used incorrectly. CO is an odorless, colorless gas and can cause medical problems and even death.

Additional resource: The Indoor Air Quality section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Information available from the CT Dept. of Public Health under Health Topics:
Carbon Monoxide (CO), The Quiet Killer. Translation available to other languages.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, everyone should get out of the building at once and 911 should be called from a nearby building.

Brian Toal, DPH, (860) 509-7740

City Parks

Parks and other open spaces provide recreational opportunities and help enhance the beauty and environmental quality of neighborhoods.

Additional resource: The Open Space section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

City Park Commissioners meet on the last Tuesday of the month, 6 p.m. at City Hall in Council Chambers. Open public forum for the first 15 minutes of the meeting. Note: Commissioners are encouraged to adopt parks. Call for a listing.

John Kehoe, City Parks/City Forester
(860) 522-4888 x5916 

For information on the City Parks Commissioners or their meetings: Penny Leto, 543-8876

Jack Hale, Knox Parks Foundation, (860) 951-7694

Contaminated Property (Brownfield)

A "brownfield" is the site of a former industrial or commercial operation that caused environmental contamination. They can have all kinds of dangers debris, dilapidated buildings and even toxic chemicals. Brownfields can be cleaned up (remediated) and redeveloped into new businesses and other uses.

Additional resource: The Brownfields section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Jeff Vose, Metro Hartford Alliance
(860) 525-44511

Jan Czeczotka, DEP Urban Sites Remediation, (860) 424-3784

MaryEllen Kowaleski, CRCOG
(860) 522-2217 X22

Drinking Water Quality

Hartford's water comes from a reservoir in northwest CT, not from wells or the CT River.

Information available: MDC Water Quality Report

Mike Pascucilla, HHD (860) 547-1426, x 7008

Matt Nozzolio, MDC, (860) 278-7850 x 3209

Dumping of Used Motor Oil & Antifreeze

One gallon of used oil can pollute 1 million gallons of fresh water, a year's supply for fifty people. Used oil and other chemicals can also kill fish and other aquatic life if they get into streams and rivers.

Used oil should be dropped off at the DPW Yard at 40 Jennings Road for recycling. Used antifreeze should be brought to a household hazardous waste (HHW) collection (see Household Hazardous Products section for more information).

(See Storm Drains/Sewers brochure and Waste & Recycling Guidelines, Rules and Regulations for more information)

For information on used oil and HHW collections: Estella Knight, DPW, (860) 543-8609


Amy Velasquez, MDC
(860) 278-7850 x3454

To report dumping of oil or other chemicals on the ground, in a storm drain, or in a stream or river: DEP-Oil & Chemical Spills, (860) 424-3338 (24-hour line)

(computers, printers, TVs, etc.)
Sometimes called e-trash, electronics waste is one of the fastest growing components of the waste stream. Many of these pose problems because they may be big and bulky . They may also contain hazardous materials like lead.

For more information on collections and take back programs, see Electronics Recycling


Environmental Justice

Environmental Equity means "that no segment of the population should, because of its racial or economic makeup, bear a disproportionate share of the risks and consequences of environmental pollution or be denied equal access to environmental benefits" DEP Environmental Equity Policy.

Additional Information: DEP Environmental Justice Program

Additional resource: The Environmental Equity section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Rita Kornblum HHD
(860) 547-1426 x7188
Edith Pestana, DEP Environmental Equity Program, (860) 424-3044

Mark Mitchell, M.D., Hartford Environmental Justice Network, (860) 548-1133

Fish from Connecticut's rivers, lakes, ponds and Long Island Sound

Fish may be contaminated with mercury or PCBs that could cause health problems if eaten.

Pamphlet available from the CT Dept. of Public Health: If I Catch It, Can I Eat It? Spanish: Advertencia Para Pescadores Y Sus Familias 

Mike Pascucilla, HHD (860) 547-1426, x 7008

Fishing Advisories: DPH, (860) 509-7742
Question about fishing in CT:
DEP - Fisheries, (860) 424-3474

Garbage - Loose at curbside

By law: Garbage must be in city-issued container. Sidewalks must be swept daily.

  1. Gladys Breedlove, DPW, (860) 522-4888, x 6519
  2. Pascucilla, HHD, (860) 547-1426, x 7008

Garbage and junk cars on property

By law: Garbage is not allowed to accumulate on property.

  1. Mike Pascucilla, HHD (860) 547-1426, x 7008
  2. Housing Code Enforcement, L & I, (860) 543-8570

Jackie Pernell, DEP- Environmental Equity Program, (860) 424-3241


Household Hazardous Products

Many products in the home are hazardous to humans and the environment including cleaning products, oil-based paints and stains, thinner, auto fluids, mercury fever thermometers, beauty products, and pesticides. The MDC holds HazWaste collections in Hartford and other participating towns to dispose of these. For a schedule, visit the MDC website or call any of the contacts listed under this topic.

Pamphlet available: About Hazardous Products in the Home (available in Spanish)

Estella Knight, DPW, (860) 543-8609

MDC HazWaste Line: (860) 278-3809

Tom Metzner, DEP-Recycling, (860) 424-3369

Land Use

Hartford 2000 is the coalition of the City's 14 Neighborhood Revitalization Zone Committees (NRZs). The objective of the NRZs is to revitalize neighborhoods through the involvement of businesses, residents and government representatives. Hartford 2000 meets the 3rd Thursday of each month at 5:30 p.m. 

For meeting dates and times for individual NRZ meetings, contact  Linda Bayer, who staffs Hartford 2000 at (860) 509-3710

State of Connecticut Plan of Conservation and Development: Office of Policy and Management (OPM), (860) 418-6373

Lead Paint in Homes

By law: No lead-based paint allowed where children under 6 reside.

Additional resource: The Lead Poisoning section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website. 

Pamphlet available: Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home (also in Spanish

Arlene Robertson, HHD, (860) 543-8817

DPH (860) 509-7745

Noise Pollution

Different government agencies deal with different types of noise pollution depending on the source of the noise.

To report individual sources of noise, including individual vehicles: Community Service Officer, HPD, 527-7300

Individual Vehicles, DMV, 263-5070

For information on Highway Noise Barriers, Steve Delpapa, 594-2941

Odors, Smoke or Dust

Sources of air pollution include, for example, cars, trucks, buses, smokestacks, construction or demolition activity and open burning. Air pollution is a hazard to your health.

It is important to report any odor, smoke, or dust right when you notice it. This makes it easier for the investigating agencies to identify the source of the potential air quality violation.

Additional resource: The Outdoor Air Quality section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Mike Pascucilla, HHD (860)547-1426, x 7008

Don Mikkelson, L & I, (860)522-4888 x6425 (dust from construction or demolition only)

To report any dust, odors, or other sources of air pollution:

Robert Shuler, DEP-Air, (860) 424-3436

If from the Trash to Energy Plant (Incinerator) call the CRRA 24 hr. Hotline, 1-800-472-8630 or from the landfill call 1-800-480-7133.

If from the Sewage Treatment Plant, also call the MDC Odor Control Line, (860) 724-1525


By law: Pest control companies must be registered with, and applicators must be licensed by DEP and are required to provide label information to resident or manager of property being treated. A new law prohibits application of lawn care pesticides on daycare and public or private elementary school grounds with some exceptions.

Additional resource: The Indoor Air Quality section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website and the Pesticides section of the DEP website.
Pamphlets available: Packet of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) information - Send Pests Packing!, IPM Checklist, Rodent, Roach & Ant brochures

Spanish: Control Integrado de Pesticidas

Andrea Lopez, L & I, (860) 522-4888 x 6396

Diane Jorsey, DEP -Pesticides, (860) 424-3369

Bill Duesing, CT Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA)

Property Blighted or Needs Securing

Extended vacancy, building dilapidated, fire hazard, drug den or bringing values down

William Budreau, L & I, (860) 522-4888, x 6245



This colorless, odorless gas comes from naturally occurring radon in the soil. If your home has high levels indoors, your risk of getting lung cancer is increased

Additional resource: The Indoor Air Quality section of the Hartford Your Health & Your Environment website.

Pamphlet available: A Radon Guide for Tenants

Spanish: El Cazador de Radon

Pamphlet available: A Radon Guide for Tenants

Spanish: El Cazador de Radon

Mike Pascucilla, HHD, (860) 547-1426, x 7008

Francesca Provenzano, DPH, (860) 509-7367


The Norway rat is the cause of most rodent problems in Hartford. The City took a three-step approach to tackle this problem, including a block-by-block survey of the city, distribution of new and improved trashcans, and an education campaign.

(See Pesticides brochure on Integrated Pest Management for more information on how to help control them.)

If you see a rat or rat droppings: Andrea Lopez, L & I (860) 757-9215

Diane Jorsey, DEP-Pesticides, (860) 424-3369



By law: Businesses (including agencies and schools) and residents must separate recyclables from trash. These include: glass & metal food & beverage containers, corrugated cardboard, newspaper, used motor oil, vehicle batteries, scrap metal, leaves, and grass clippings.

In addition, magazines & catalogs, drink boxes & milk/juice cartons, and plastic food & laundry containers with or on the bottom must be recycled. For businesses, agencies and schools, white office paper must also be recycled.

Pamphlet available: Waste & Recycling Guidelines, Rules and Regulations (also in Spanish)

Estella Knight, DPW, (860) 543-8609

Kevin Sullivan DEP-Recycling, (860) 424-3275

For information on regional recycling:

Storm Drains, Flooding and Sewers

Storm drains must be kept clear to prevent clogging and flooding.

Pamphlet available: Storm Sewers: Nonpoint Source Pollution

Spanish: El Projecto de Marcar las Alcantarillas

To report these problems: DPW Dispatch, (860) 543-8765

MDC Dispatch, (860) 278-7850 x 3600

Street Trees: getting or caring for them

The City of Hartford has been planting and maintaining a wide variety of tree species along roads and in parks since the early 1900s.

John Kehoe, City Forester, (860) 722-6524

  1. Chris Donnelly, DEP- Forestry, (860) 424-3630
  2. Jack Hale, Knox Parks Foundation, (860) 951-7694

Underground Storage Tanks (USTs)

Many Hartford businesses have used USTs to store gasoline, heating oil, waste oil, and other chemicals. Many residential buildings use or have used USTs for heating oil. USTs pose potential environmental and safety hazards due to possible leaks into the soil and groundwater.

  1. Mike Fuschi L & I, (860)757-9226
  2. Fire Department, (860) 722-8250

Phil Wilde, DEP-UST Program, (860) 424-3339

Not Sure Who to Call?

City of Hartford Action Line

Hartford Neighborhood Environmental Project

For any problem with city services or concerns about your neighborhood: 5-ACTION (522-8466) Judy Prill or Mary Sherwin, DEP - Pollution Prevention, (860)424-3297

Content Last Updated December 12, 2006